Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Smoking pork sausage

PA Dutch EggerPA Dutch Egger Posts: 128
edited 10:41PM in EggHead Forum
The local butcher has pork sausage on sale. I would like to try to smoke this, but I haven't found any directions as of now. I would think indirect around 250 degrees? How long to smoke and do I use an internal temp to tell when it is done?

Comments

• PA Dutch Egger wrote:
    The local butcher has pork sausage on sale. I would like to try to smoke this, but I haven't found any directions as of now. I would think indirect around 250 degrees? How long to smoke and do I use an internal temp to tell when it is done?

Do a search on "Fatty" or "Fatties" and you'll get plenty of inspiration.
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,369
    You can do pork sausage quite a few different ways. I do both direct and indirect, raised. If you take a mass of it, and roll it up like a commercial log, you can cook it as a "fatty" indirect at 250. You can make that as smokey and/or spicey as you wish. Just cook till 160 internal.

I like making pork sausage burger, grill direct raised with dome around 350. A few turns, and then top with a slice of provolone. Mixes nicely with ground beef for a juicier and tmore savory burger.
  • There is a differance in cured smoked sausage and smoked sausage.
    If you want to cure it you need to get a curring agent such as morton tender quick and others and then smoke.
    Not cured just smoke it.