Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grid Size?

Options
egger66
egger66 Posts: 385
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm wanting to make a raised grid to fit on my regular grid for my large BGE so that I can cook larger amounts of food. I would also like it to rest on the firering for spatchcock chicken,etc. The Naked Whiz website shows how to make it, but I dont remember seeing the recommended grid size. Can one size grid be used for both applications?
Thanks

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I put mine on the main grid. You could grind the washers off so they get closer to the edge and then it would sit on the fire ring. 18" diameter if I member rite. The size of the factory one is the size ya want.

Raisedgrid.jpg
  • egger66
    Options
    I'll mostly use the two tier system while cooking indirect with the platesetter. Will the 18" grid still fit that high in the dome?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Not with the height that I have. Not on a platesetter. But you can't have a raised grid that fits on the fire ring and will fit high in the dome.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    !8” or 18.5” standard Webber grate and I’m thinking that I used 4” SS bolts, but I’ll have to check all that out….tomorrow, for you!
    I also did a modification of the handles (torch and two pliers) that seems to let me get away with either / or. I know that I can use a platesetter for one pizza stone and put the other atop my raised rig, baking two pies at once! Or…meat on the lower grid (legs up with a drip pan) and veggies on the upper.
    I just bent the handles down and then widened them a bit also, to allow me to put my Lg. steel pizza pan (I use it for potatoes, veggies and the like) in between the handles. I’ll see if I can find a pic and post it.
    I’ll measure up everything. But…No guarantees on the picture mate. My picture file is a mess!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I don't think it's so much the 18" dia. as it is the length of the bolts you use for the legs. If the bolts are too long and the food is too high up (like a roast or a Bird) the food will be bumping into the dome thermometer or rubbing up against the soot-covered inside of your dome.

I think I used 4.1/2" bolts and that makes it sit too high to close the dome when used with the platesetter.
    in that case one might be able to use a lesser diameter grid or use a shorter bolt. FWIW- it almost closes so if my grid was anything less than 18" the dome would close.

If you want to be able to put stuff under the raised grid when cooking (like a certain pan or more food) see what's the largest thing you'd want to use and measure the height. Add a little for a nut and washer and that'll tell you how long you neeed it to be.

then bring the ruler to the hardware store so that when you can't find the exact size you measured, you can find the next best thing :lol:

That being said, I haven't yet had the need to use both the raised grid and the platesetter at the same time, but I haven't tried cooking more than 2 butts at once yet either!
  • egger66
    Options
    Thanks guys...I appreciate the help :cheer: