Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonia/Max Thank you

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This forum and the great cooks that are affiliated with it continues to amaze me! [p]Thanksgiving was good, and we had an early meal at my sisters (bro-in-law cooked), and a late dinner (Vietnamese style) at my mom-in-laws. All pretty good food, though I did not get to do a lick of cooking. Zero. And since the missuz just got back from overseas thursday morning, I did not know what we were doing, so I bought a frozen turkey last week. I decided I was going to cook it today.[p]Shortened version.....I am no turkey expert, and have never made good mashed taters. But with Max's instructions on doing a killer turkey, and righteous gravy, and with Tonias (QBabe's) goat cheese mashed taters, i am now famous. Max and Brett even stopped by part way through the cook to return my large egg, and Max was to be seen basting my turkey! (would post a picture, but I am too full of beer and food to hook my camera up.)[p]But QBabe has her Tater recipe posted on her website, and it is awesome. And Max has spread his knowledge (including the gravy post) all down below (with typical Mad Max enthusiasm). This forum, and the generous people spreading their wisdom, is unbelievable. [p]You have to understand, my wife's sisters and mother were here, and they are phenominal Vietnamese cooks. And they also tend to let you know with their face if something does not meet their expectations. Well, to see them picking the meat off the carcass after their plate was clean.....it was beautiful. Thanks yall fer makin' me look good![p]This forum rules, and I am so, so thankful for it. [p]Cheers!
Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Do you have a pointer to Qbabe's site?[p]Thanks! TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    my sister always says that our mutual admiration wants to make her puke. . .. tough. .. .your little metal suspenders and pie pan saved my thanksgiving turkey and i'm happy they worked for you today. . .glad the turkey and gravy were up to your in-laws standards. . .[p]beers back at ya. . .[p]max

• Nature Boy
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I do indeed. Here ya go pal.[p]BTW, I got a major kick out of the new comedy on your website! Nice.
    Chris

[ul][li]QBabes Babe Q Site[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    HEY! I WAS SERIOUS! LOL....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I can see the logic in your presentation. But the disclaimer produced a bulge in the side of your cheek.
    Hee
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Mornin' Chris...[p]Thanks for the compliments and glad you enjoyed those taters for your belated turkey cook. I cooked on T-Day, but did a lamb roast to go along with the turkey that was already being cooked by Larry's sister. So, I still have 2 birds in the freezer for another day...[p]How'd you end up doing your bird? Brined? Injected? Just curious since I've never done a turkey in my life, including in an oven...! [p]Monday morning coffees to ya,
    Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]QBabe's Website[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Mornin' Tonia.
    Those taters were incredible. I made about 8 pounds of taters, and they were nearly all et. The scene was incredible as kids and adults alike loaded heir plates and doused everything with the best gravy (Max's gravy) I ever made. Only the second time I ever made gravy....but hard to imagine anything better.[p]I did not brine, as I have been advised that the gravy will be salty and not as good. Alls I did was mix some fresh rosemary/thyme/sage and a couple tsp of Tsunami with a bunch of butter, and smeared it under and over the skin. Did not use any smoking wood.....just an eztablished lump fire. Cooked in a roasting pan at 325, spinning it 180 degrees every so often. Really strange as I ended up pulling the bird off when one side of the breast was 160, and the other side 172. Never seen such uneveness! Now worries though. Even the 170 side was still pretty moist.[p]Got the coffee a-workin right now. 7am came REAL early this morning.
    Happy monday!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com