Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need wing advice, please

The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Due to an unfortunate incident with some chicken wings a couple of years ago (man, 25 wings didn't seem like THAT much at the time....) I have sort of avoided them ever since. However, my son who loves my spatchcocked chicken asked if I could make wings on the Egg. So, could someone fill me in on the basics? Time, temp, direct/indirect, raised/standard grill position, etc.? Thanks.
TNW

The Naked Whiz

Comments

• The Naked Whiz,
    i haven't made them, but i've eaten the 'chefRD' wings from the egg. . .they are fantastic. . i'm sure someone can post the recipe. . .[p]i do a mandaran wing recipe that's good... marinade wings in a combination of hosin/duck/sweet&sour/soy sauce w/ sesame oil, garlic, some hot sauce. .. .very sticky. . so i do them direct, but only at 250 for about one hour, turning them often to make sure they don't burn. . .did them at last year's waldorf eggfest with good success. . ..let me know if you want the details and i'll give it to you. . .[p]but you can't go wrong with basic wings direct at 300 for about 40 minutes, with something like tsunami spin or jamaican firewalk. .. simple, quick and easy, and delicious. . .

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    The Naked Whiz,
    Seems like if you pretend they are thighs they come out best. That means at least an hour, and probably closer to two, at 250 direct....275 tops. Indirect you might be able to get away with close to 300. but the skin needs time to render, and the meat does not seem to dry out unless you really torch them.[p]ChefRD style with the breaded coating is how I do them half the time. Here is a link to show pix of the process. What happened with your unfortunate wings? Did you spend too much time flipping with the lid open and end up with a grease fire?? [p]Beers!
    Chris

[ul][li]Wings[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    The unfortunate part was that I ate all 25. Gawd, was I queasy the next 24 hours or so....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    I'm with you in the "can't get the wings right" corner. I've tried them several times and have yet to make a batch worth serving to guests.[p]If your son likes wings, make 2 spatchcocked chickens and he can have the wing portions all to himself. Leftovers of the rest of the bird can be saved for a nice smoked pecan chicken salad to serve on Christmas eve.[p]Banker John

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    The Naked Whiz,
    I did a couple dozen drumettes this evening. 230° or so, indirect. I turned 'em at the half hour, for a total time of one hour. I scorched a couple: should have watched closer and probably turned after 20 minutes.[p]Ken

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I cooked a batch of 16 this evening, using the lemon/garlic/peppercorn recipe in the BGE cookbook. To prep, I cut off the wing tip (discarded it) then sliced through the skin down to the first joint but kept the two pieces together. I marinaded the wings for about 2 hours in a 1 gallon zip lock bag in the fridge.[p]Total cook time was about 1:10 at about 300, on a grid extender over a drip pan. After the first 30 or 40 minutes, I turned them every 10 or 15 minutes.[p]They turned out fine, I can't taste the garlic at all but I can taste some lemon. I usually make a batch on the weekend so I'll have something to take for lunch during the week.[p]Hope you get your taste for wings back - they're really good on the egg.[p]Chuck
  • RayS
    RayS Posts: 114
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I've had the same experience with chicken wings. Usually when they are deep fried and not cooked properly. Cooking them low and slow will renders out the fat and leave you with a great tasting wing.[p]Sprinkle the chicken wings liberally with salt and cayenne or whatever spice blend you like. Put into the egg at 200 degrees for three hours smoking with a wood of your choice. If you want the skin crispy, grill them for a few minutes to crisp them up.

Remove wings from egg and combine with hot sauce and melted butter mixture. One part butter, two parts hot sauce. I use Frank's hot sauce. This combination is also good on french fries.[p]Serve with celery, carrot sticks and blue cheese dressing.[p]Enjoy![p]

• The Naked Whiz,
    I think Blue Smoke is being too modest. He has some Orange Wings which are absolutely excellent.
    Also try (and I don't know who to attribute this to):[p]FAMOUS KANSAS FLIGHTLESS CHICKEN WINGS
    3 lb. chicken wings
    1/2 cup Dijon mustard
    2 tsp olive oil
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    Cut wings into 3 pieces and discard tips. Combine other ingredients in a large bowl. Add pieces and stir to coat well. Cover and let stand 45 minutes. Place pieces on the grill and brush with remaining mustard mixture. Grill over medium-hot coals about 15–20 minutes, turning once.

CHANGES:
    I cooked these direct, turning every 20 minutes, for 2 HOURS at about 250°. That was on a Small, on a raised grid (jury-rigged). I don't know what's up with that 20 minutes figure. The wings seemed to carmelize late in the cook. I marinated longer also. I did some "joined" wings, and found the 3-piece technique to be superior. They seem to get crisper. Excellent, and got raves. Not hot.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I like to do mine direct on a raised grid at 250° - 275° for about 1.5 hrs or so. I haven't found "the" wing recipe yet, but have tried lots of ways with just rub, marinades, etc. They've all been good which is why I haven't found a favorite...[p]Wings on the egg...Mmmmmm!
    Tonia
    :~)

• The Naked Whiz,
    One of my favorites is just coat with Old Bay and grill, typically direct. Simple, but very good IMHO.[p]Ray

• rayl, Just did wings slathered with Crab Boil as I was out of Old Bay, also very good! Crab Boil has a little more kick than Old Bay. The EGG did its magic!!

• Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Check out this site. This is an excellent way to cook them little bad boys. Very tender with great flavor. The traditional suace at the end is the right touch.[p]I host a chicken wing cook off annually and used this method (with my own rub). Judging was crooked - they should have won over fired any day![p]-Tom
  • Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Not sure why the link didn't take ... here's anoher try at it.[p]And just in case... http://www.jodysgarage.com/lotw.html