Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer/Temp control

Options
Sauced Up
Sauced Up Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have looked around on the forum and net at various thermometers. Thermopen for instant read,Maverick ET-73 for dual temp and DigiQ II with draft control. Looking for the bang for that buck. Comments please....

Comments

• jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    Options
    you just named the three we'd probably recommend for each of their different needs.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Yup, those are three good ones although they are all different.

The biggest improvement to the quality of my cooking, on and off the egg, is the Thermapen. I also learned to cook to temperature not time. The Thermapen is a very worth while expenditure, don't get any look alike's - just the Thermapen or the MTC with the super fast probe (same company). If I lost or broke it I would immediately buy another one.

ET-73 - great for monitoring both pit and food temperatures, the ET-73 has dual alarms and a timer. I always use the Thermapen to check the final temperature of the food before pulling.

The DigiQII or Stoker, I have them both. Thest Powered Vent Systems (PVS) are great for cooks where you don't want to have a lot of hands on with the cook. For the most part it is a set and forget. The units have 2 or more probes, pit and some have multiple food (and multiple fan) probes.

The PVS control the pit temperature and monitor the food temperature. Both have the capability to lower the pit temperature when the food is getting done. Sort of a keep warm feature.

When I use the DigiQII I usually use the Maverick ET-73 so I can remotely monitor the pit & food temperature. The ET-73 will sound an alarm should the pit temperature get too high or too cold and will sound an alarm when the food is at the done temperature.

If I don't hook the Stoker up to the computer I will also use the ET-73. If I connect the Stoker to the computer I have full control of the PVS through the computer and the ET-73 is not necessary. The stoker is capable of controlling many eggs and many food probes.

Keep in mind the eggs are very capable of holding and cooking overnight on their own without a PVS system.

If money is no problem get all three. If you can only get one get the Thermapen, then the ET-73 and finally the PVS.

GG