Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Light a Grill in 30 Seconds

Bob VBob V Posts: 195
edited 10:52AM in EggHead Forum
**Don't try this at home, kids**

Naked Whiz is gonna love this one.

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2009-09/most-dangerous-way-light-grill

Bob V

Comments

•  
    liquid oxygen :woohoo: :woohoo:

It is easy to have a large up at 400° and stable in less than a minute with a weed burner. The method works well.

GG
  • Actually, I've seen that a number of times. I did manage to get a bottle of LOX, but the police came and got me before I could use it. Someone at the home ratted on me.... :woohoo:
    The Naked Whiz
  • One of the commenters posted a link to an earlier video of a Purdue staffer doing the same thing...won an Ig Nobel Prize for it. My people.

I love how the brightness of the fire causes the camera to overcompensate and darken the surroundings. That's a heck of a fire.
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,532
    They needn't have worried unless you mixed it with some aluminum powder. Its good for making a beacon that can be seen for a few hundred miles, and it attracts BBQ addicts like moths :woohoo:
  • DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    I love my weed burner and if you are looking for a ten second faster temp be my guest.How much does that liquid oxygen cost?
  • RVHRVH Posts: 523
    We have done that a few times, as we have access to GP45 liquid oxy tanks. It is an impressive method to use but I think the mapp torch is a bit "friendlier".