Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

THROWDOWN VOTES ARE IN!!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Yes I do!! I often have more BAD stuff going om then GOOD stuff! OTOH, every day is a gift!
    Thanks for posting your pics and method for your entry.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    recipes

kabobs

have made this with chicken thighs and pork tenderloin
    pineapple
    marinade:
    2 tbl dark soy
    1 tbl fish sauce ( been using three crabs fish sauce)
    1 tbl sugar
    a bunch of cilantro, used lemon thyme for the throwdown
    1 tsp pepper
    5 cloves garlic
    food processor with just enough water to make a paste.
    marinade 1 to 2 hours. 450 lower grill direct

sweet chili garlic sauce: for dipping meat and pineapple

1 cup sugar
    .5 cup water
    .5 cup white vinegar
    4 big cloves garlic roughly chopped
    1 tsp salt
    simmer down to a light syrup then add 2 tbl chili garlic sauce and allow to cool on counter

.25 inch thick sliced green tomatoes, coat in rice flour, dip into .5 cup milk with two eggs, dip into salted fine cornmeal and fry in veggie oil

remoulade:
    .5 cup mayo
    .5 cup sweet chili garlic sauce
    1 tbl sriracha sauce
    lemon thyme
    refridgerate
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    For sure!
    Just as one example: I have all these great herb growing in the garden…Even cooked with them! Did you see any on the plate? NO!!
    Too many things for the old brain to process, to say the least.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words LC. Those dumplings are a nice adder to any Southwest stew, chili or things like Chile Colorado.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Jagweed, Fishless, and more I am sure.... The decision was made only to post the plated pic because there were many complaints after the last throwdown that there were too many pics, and the thread took too long and was difficult to view. So, we have confirmed the old saying "you can't please everybody". :laugh: ;) But we sure did try!! :woohoo:
    It is in Bitslammers hands now... :woohoo: . You have to consider also, we had 15 submissions this time, with an average of 5 pics per submission, is 75 pics. :blink: In order to keep the pics anonymous, each pic has to be moved to a separate photobucket account (reformatted and resized in many cases :blink: ) then moved again to produce a post. So please keep the poor folks running the throwdown in mind. :blink: I can tell you....it was a VERY long weekend..... :huh: :whistle:
  • bitslammer
    Options
    LC...you're scaring me now!

To keep it simple next time we're only going to do one 1" x 1" black & white photo to keep it simple. :P
  • fishlessman
    Options
    totally understand the problems involved. would be nice if there was a way to post the writeups to a closed to all eyes thread and have it turned on at a certian time. you guys did a great job, wish there was a way to make the process even simpler for those running the throwdown. i couldnt even send in a pic, imagine if i had to figure out how to reformat, resize, etc. :laugh: you guys did good
    fukahwee maine

• Little Chef
    Options
    You SHOULD be scared!!! :woohoo: :laugh: :silly: :laugh: :woohoo: Joking...No worries....it's all "do-able"...the black and whites may not be a bad idea though.... :whistle: :silly: . I made the mistake of asking for IMG tags on the pics. I didn't get the correction to send JPG out there soon enough, so that added to the work on this end. :pinch: No worries... we won't leave you to flounder.... :);)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Hmmmmmm....maybe there is a was to create a photobucket account that a link can be provided for....??? Available to everyone if they choose to look at ALL the pics??? :huh: Hmmmm...let's think about that one.
  • bitslammer
    Options
    Thanks. I've already heard from the throwdown geek and a few of the other members of the the secretive throwdown cabal with offers of help. I think hearing the post-mortem after each event is helping this thing evolve.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    would take me a year of sundays to learn how, but a plated pic and one of those links in photobucket that flips thru the pages of a cook.
    fukahwee maine

• Little Chef
    Options
    Hmmmm...heard from the Throwdown Geek....interesting.... :ermm: ..The Throwdown Geek(s) from this weekend were getting some sleep last I knew..... :blink: ;)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    The process let's the person looking at the pics get the layering of flavors in thier minds, ect...
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I only claimed to be the "original" throwdown geek, and offered to help like I helped this time...

Doug
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I thought you pic was on of the better ones. I loved it!! Great job.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Thanks...these throwdowns are fun. Even if you don't get to outside the box, you are still stretching an average cook to a beyond average cook.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Your cooks look more south of the border than north of the border....not sure what a typical north of the border cook is. :laugh:
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Barry

Moose, back bacon, beaver ;);)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SteveinTN
    Options
    Throwdown #5 Details / pics
    sorry for the late post - what a fun event

Here is final plate - Grilled Pork Medallions with Pineapple Pancakes and Caribbean Sauce
    Medallions of pork tenderloin - marinated with fresh thyme
    Cornbread Pancakes with Pineapple Bits
    Fruit and Vegetable Sauce overlay
    Side of additional sauce in a stuffed red pepper
    Cilantro garnish

Final Plate

final.jpg

Now lets go to the start
    Some raws came from the garden
    Red peppers
    IMG_0439.jpg

Thyme