Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted Dove

Options
EGC
EGC Posts: 448
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Took my son on a dove shoot last weekend, and despite horrid shooting, we managed to bring home 11 birds. Don't ask how many shells that took!

Here's my son with a pair:

DSC_0114.jpg

Picked and cleaned the birds. Placed six in a baking dish breast down, with salt, pepper, a pat o' butter, a few Tbs of water, and some celery.

DSC_0143-1.jpg

My daughter. Never met a camera she didn't like:

DSC_0141.jpg

Cooked indirect for 2.5 hours at 300. The metal bowl just has water in it to keep the moisture level up:

DSC_0145-1.jpg

Finished:

DSC_0146.jpg

Tender and moist results.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    EGC,

That recipe looks great. We got 19 last week...I may have to give your technique a try...I am going to cook a few breast with a raspberry chipotle sauce wrapped in bacon and also grill a few breasts then shred them and put the meat in ABT's...I will let you know how it goes...

Do you ever brine Dove breasts??? I have not but was thinking about it this time...
  • EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Options
    I've never brined a dove, but what could it hurt? It would only take a few hours, too. I have 7 more birds that I was going to wrap in bacon and grill. I think I'll brine and see what happens. I will post the results.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Looks Yummy.I never tried picking them.I love to see people take their kids hunting.Cudos to you! ;)
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Good job on the doves,we had easy limits here in Socal.I did ours as ABT's and they were great.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    I would love to have some dove. Its's been probably 10 years since my last hunt. I really don't have any excuses. I sit on my back patio last Saturday and listened to al the shots.