Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

costco pork shoulder, NOT a picnic shoulder

glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been asked to make some pulled pork for a tailgate party tomorrow. Didn't feel like going to restaurant depot and I was right by Costco. So I bought 2 packs of what they call pork shoulder. I don't think its the picnic shoulder that I've read many posts about on here; I think its something different (could be wrong). This cut of meat looks like it had been on the bone and had multiple slides/folds on it like it was de-boned. It wasn't just one big hunk like the boston butts I've cooked in the past. It also cooked VERY quickly in comparison. See the graphs below for the comparison. I also didn't see much of a plateau, but the meat really fell apart when I took it off. Was on for about 14 hours total....

I hope it comes out good; its in my ice-chest now sweating it out a bit

Costco Pork Shoulder
stokerlog.jpg

Restaurant Depot Boston Butt
before_going_to_250.jpg

Comments

• Camano
    Camano Posts: 134
    I tried a Costco bb a couple of weeks ago and it turned out great. Looked like a meat cutter trainee trimmed the bone out but the finished product was good and cooked in about the same time as other cooks.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    I do Costco butts all the time (can't find the anything else). Yours sounds like they should pull just fine and taste great - at least my do. And no they are not a picnic but a boned butt. Ditto on what Camano said - sometimes the butt looks like a trainee hacked it up.

Good luck looking fwd to finshed pics.
  • I always ask the butcher at Costco just to be sure which cut of meat it is when buying the pork shoulder/butt.

I have smoked the picnic, the butt, and the shoulder, They all pull pretty much the same.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • I've been using Costco pork shoulder and will be doing two in one cook this weekend. I documented one of the cooks here:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=702489&catid=1#

They turn out great.
  • You are correct - it's not a picnic, but a boned butt. You can get them cheap and it's pretty much all I use for pulled pork anymore, although I sure would like to try a picnic sometime.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Was this what you bought? Shown is mine after hitting with some mustard and dust. I agree that for the effort this will be my goto for pulled pork. Maybe not as much "fun" as a whole butt/shoulder but this was so quick and tasty. I did have to do some fat trimming but still a great value for the money.

3889377977_54b067511b.jpg
  • bitslammer wrote:
    Was this what you bought? Shown is mine after hitting with some mustard and dust. I agree that for the effort this will be my goto for pulled pork. Maybe not as much "fun" as a whole butt/shoulder but this was so quick and tasty. I did have to do some fat trimming but still a great value for the money.

In my Costco the shoulders/butts are sitting next to those country styile ribs. Plus it only costs $1.39/lb and is sold as a cryovac two pack averaging 15 lbs.
  • yep, like bryansj said, same here, 2 in a cryovac pack. Not the ribs, but the inside did look like those ribs do :) all chopped up to you know what.

Ate it for dinner just now....I do think the boston butt tastes better, but it was still good. I seriously doubt anyone at the tailgate tomorrow will notice the difference tho.

I'm just glad all my cooking/preparing is done for today. Cooking a Jambalaya onsite tomorrow (not on the egg, but my cast iron pot), but that should be fun and easy since everything is already chopped.

Go Tigers!
  • jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    if you are concerned at all about bacteria and whether the internal temp hits 140 within four hours, best bet is to go with bone-in. those that are boneless have been allowed to have the exterior surface contaminate the interior.

not a critical concern when all is said and done, but for those that cling to such things, it would be a big issue
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    The charts are cute but they don't make my mouth water...how about some pics of the roast?
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241