Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To brine or not to brine that is the question???

Options
rose
rose Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to try a turkey on the egg this year and I am not sure to brine it or not. What difference does the brining make? I normally inject my turkey and deep fry it. I sure don't want to mess it up.
any help ya'll can give me would be great.
Rose

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Rose,
    It's either/or: inject or brine, not both. They both are used to keep meat moist and add flavor. Like everything we do here, its a personal choice. Have a great Thanksgiving.

• Tom Harmon
    Options
    Rose,[p]Right on one or the other. I choose brining since the flavors, salt and H2O get into the cells and alter the proteins. Injecting gets the flavors under the skin but not into the cells.[p]I grill the turkey and it cooks more quickly, so watch your time if you brine.[p]tlhrtp[p]tlhrtp

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Rose,
    Personally, I choose to inject and smoke mine. The egg does such a great job of cooking, yet retaining the moisture in the bird. I think you'll be happy with injecting since that's what you are used to.[p]Another option...since turkey is such a deal this time of the year, buy an extra one and try brining one weekend for a "normal" meal.

• Mully
    Mully Posts: 30
    Options
    Rose,
    Try the brine you wont whine!!LOL
    I too deep fry my turkeys but this year I bought the BGE and since have brined a 14 pounder and numerous chickens.People have told me it is the best taysting most tender foul that ever passsed their lips.I agree with them.
    I brine them overnight and roast them @ 350° on a raised grid with a drip pan.Monitor the temp and you will be celabrating at the table!!!
    I am deep frying one,BGEing one and roasting one in the oven this year..People got wind of the menu and I have 30 for dinner this year!
    Beers! and good luck![p]Mully

• Marvin,[p]Thanx. You answered my question as well. My husband just smoked on for a friend and she brined and then put seasoning on. Do you think hers will be all right?
  • Mully,
    Do you brine and deep fry?