Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Frank In Houma - Sugarcane

El JefeEl Jefe Posts: 96
edited 1:55AM in EggHead Forum
Frank:

Picked a couple of stalks of sugarcane this weekend while dove hunting. How do you smoke with them? Dou you peel them down to the flesh? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Are you talking about making sugarcane skewers?
  • No, I thought I had read before that he uses it for smoking. Maybe the sun has gotten to me. :laugh:
  • I will defer to Frank on that one. I would think it will burn the sugars and not turn out well as smoke, but I am all ears also.
  • good deal. thanks. looks like he leaves to outside on. i'm going to give it a shot tonight.
  • Frank brought some by the Chicken Coop last time through and I've only used it once. He reminded me that it produces a very dark skin on chicken so I used only a couple of pieces with mine.

It seemed to have imparted a slightly sweet flavor but I may be wrong. I took it off before the meat got dark.

It freezes well in Zip-Lock bags. I think I'll try it on some shrimp next time.

Spring "Cane Squeezings" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • I talkedd to several people around here and they told me I was crazy. I had put the idea on the back burner until you brought it up. I was thinkin chicken ;)
  • I've only use it on fowl so far. The idea isn't original - local food guy on the radio (who is an egger) says he uses it on his turkeys. I peel the loose leaves, cut into 6 to 8" lengths and then split. I would only use 6-8 pieces for a whole chicken. After the first one that turned the skin black, I cut back to the 6-8 pieces. Even thought the skin was black, it was mightyfine. Freeze whatever you don't use - it will rot like anything else if you don't freeze it. Couple pics.

Whole chick
    IMG_1437800x600.jpg

Thighs finished with Carnivore sauce
    IMG_2400800x600.jpg

Used too much on this one - but it was eggcelent
    IMG_2524800x600.jpg

Chick waltzing through the veggies
    IMG_2615800x600.jpg

Turkey breast
    IMG_2558800x600.jpg

Quads :lol:
    IMG_2532800x600.jpg