Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood

shubydoobydo
shubydoobydo Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
What kind of wood did you all use in your table? I am in the process of designing mine on google sketch, and starting to plan into those kind of details! Thanks!

Comments

• I used a combination of cypress and cedar. Both are naturally weather and insect resistant and both reasonably priced. Cedar is available everywhere including big box stores, in many different dimensions, shapes and sizes. Cypress, depending on where you live can be a little tougher to find. You can order it on line, but shipping is a little pricey for such a small quantity. If you have a woodworker's store near you, (i.e., Woodcraft) they should stock it in convenient sizes. Very nice to work with too.
  • dubah
    dubah Posts: 60
    I used pine and 3 coats of Varathane Spar varnish.
  • I haven't built mine as yet but plan to use Ipe. It is a Brazilian hardwood that is naturally fire resistant, some say to the same designation as concrete. The wood is so dense that it will not float and weighs probably 4 times the mass of oak or maple. It also resists warping, rot and insects. It can be coated with a finish which deepens the color and adds to the weather resistance.

Has anyone done an Ipe BGE table? I'd love to see pics.

BTW, Ipe is pronounced eepay
  • Sounds like Cypress is the way to go if it is in my budget and I can find some near me. I am in the northern burbs of ATL does anyone know of any around here? Also does any one have some pictures of a table made with cypress compared to Ceader. Maybe I will use a combination of both to keep the costs down a little bit. Has anyone done this?
  • I used Mahogany when I built mine a little over 3 years ago. I believe the wood cost me $135. I used mahogany because it has proven to hold up well when exposed to the elements (boats).
    this is what it looked like then:
    BGE8.jpg
    I've added some stuff since:
    umbrella.jpg

actually, I leave the umbrella in the garage and only use it if it starts raining or snowing. Mahogany is heavy, but not as heavy as Ipe.

I seem to recall someone here using ipe.