Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oysters on the "shell"

Options
FatDog
FatDog Posts: 164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While picking up some ground beef for big ol' burgers last night I happened across some oysters and thought ... Well, after a few minutes on the egg with just a touch of pecan wood, they were mighty tasty. Looks like I'll be heading to Earp's Seafood (in Raleigh) today for a peck or two this weekend. [p]Anyone else have any ideas for oysters on the egg?

Comments

• FatDog,
    mix a little chopped garlic, shallots, parsley and pernod with some softened butter. Place about a teaspoon on the opened oysters, place upright, use a bed of salt in a pan if necessary to keep them upright. Cook only for a couple of minutes until just heated @ around 600. Oh Yes...

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    FatDog, here is one from Gretl:
    Gretl's Grilled Oysters
    [p]Ingredients:
    1 pint oysters
    2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 Tbs chopped garlic
    1/2 tsp hot sauce (Sriracha sauce is good)
    1/2 fresh lime (or lemon) juiced
    3-4 branches fresh Rosemary

Directions:
    1 Drain a pint of oysters (save the liquor for stew) and toss them with extra virgin olive oil, chopped garlic, freshly ground black pepper, a squirt or two of hot sauce (Sriracha sauce is very good; it's available in Asian markets), and maybe a squeeze or two of lemon or lime.
    2 Get the Egg going to about 300 to 350.
    3 On a rack over a shallow pan lined with foil, lay branches of fresh rosemary. I put a bit of water in the pan to keep the drippings from burning.
    4 Lay the oysters right on the rosemary in one layer.
    5 Set the pan on a couple of firebricks.
    6 Check the oysters after about a half an hour. They're done when they've shrunk up and are a nice brown color and are tender but not squishy. They have been left for as long as two hours without being ruined.
    Notes:
    1 I've used lower heat and longer time, and higher heat if I'm in a hurry. They are truly amazing. As far as smoke flavor...I have used alderwood chips, and I've used no chips at all. Both are good. Most of the flavor seems to come from the rosemary. Experiment and see what suits you!

[p]

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    FatDog,[p]While living in Oregon, I cooked many an oyster over an open fire. For this, all you need are fresh, live oysters in the shell. And make up some cocktail sauce with horseradish, worcestershire sauce, and ketchup.[p]We would pick up a gunny sack full of oysters (1/2 to 1 bushel) right from the oyster farm. They're still clumped together and covered with mud. Off to the campsite with them, clean them up and separate them, and start a nice fire.[p]When the fire's going good with lots of coals, place the oysters on a grate over the fire. Keep an eye on them as they steam in the shell, and as soon as the muscle relaxes and one starts to open, grab it off before your buddy does.[p]Crack open with an oyster knife, drop into your glass of cocktail sauce, and enjoy! Man it doesn't get any better than this.[p]If I still lived in Oregon you can bet I would still be doing this on my egg.[p]Chuck[p]
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    FatDog,
    Up here on Cape Cod, oysters are plentiful and fairly cheap at the fish piers and almost free if you dig em up yourself. My wife and I enjoy them raw with a dash of horseradish and Tabasco; lightly grilled on the Egg just til they pop open; and everyones favorite - Oysters Rockefeller. There are a number of area restaurants using the same stolen recipe and one place in Dennisport even has the sauce on their menu by itself as a side dish and available for take out, so I buy it by the quart and spoon it over fresh shucked oysters with a sprinkle of parmesan and roast in the Egg at 400 for 15-20 minutes in a pan loosely packed with rocksalt. Obviously, you can't just run into the Scargo Cafe and pick up a quart for yourself, so I did a search of some recipe sites and posted a link to the one I think is closest to my favorite.[p]Cheers and Good Eatin',
    C~Q

[ul][li]Oysters Rockefeller [/ul]
  • bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    FatDog,
    Oyster Rockafeller rocks..........[p]