Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need raised grid advice

Options
Memphis
Memphis Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this has been covered on the forum before BUT ... I am in need a raised grid! I hear the one that BGE sells is not a very good one. I also remember someone making one with some bolts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• ranger ray
    Options
    Memphis,
    you can use one of the two techniques that use...first is...just use three fire bricks on edge....the second is to simply cut old coffee cans to the desired height that you'd like to raise your grid to and place them(look like cookie cutters) under the grid...either choice"ain"t too pretty" but very effective....the bolt method is a good one too.. i think if you look on the naked whiz's site...you can see a pic...it's self explanatory....thanks! ray

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Memphis,
    The BGE raised grill gets some negative point here, however I have one and I find it works just fine. It is not as heavy duty as the regular and is priced a bit steep, but I use it all the time. It will give you more usable top grill space than the fire brick method.
    I like to alternate the top and bottom grill between cooks (so that they get a good fire cleaning) and find that I can flip the raised grill upside down and place the regular grill on top of its feet. Works great.
    Have not tried the bolt method.

[ul][li]Ravnhaus BBQ & Egg site[/ul]
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    ravnhaus,
    just visited your site, and I must say, one of the finest I have seen out there.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    ExtendedBrickSetup.jpg
    <p />Memphis,
    I often use the BGE extended grates for convenience, and just set the regular grate on top of it. [p]Yet you don't need it. The bolt extensions work great I hear, but for years I've been getting by using a firebrick split roughly into 3 chunks. I set these on a cheapo home depot grate, and set the BGE grate on the bricks. [p]Another idear fer the pot anywho.
    Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    I agree! I bookmarked the site and will visit for inspiration. Great pix and descriptions.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    ranger ray,
    Neat idea....hollow can allows for even heat distribution. I guess you could even use different sizes of cans for different heights, huh?[p]Thanks for posting,
    Mike

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Memphis,
    I have some photos in my FAQ of making a raised grid with bolts. Here it is:[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's FAQ[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • ravnhaus
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Great idea, splitting the splits!
    I will have to add a few to my arsenal. When you need stability the bricks beat out the extended grill, no doubt about it.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    ravnhaus,
    Not sure about "great" idea LOL but it works for me. I like them split because the full bricks are cumbersome, and they not only alter the airflow, but they add uneeded mass. This way I can get them out closer to the edge. [p]Beverages to you.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gretl
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Really dumb question--did you use a special saw blade, or did you just karate those splits to split?
    Your pal,
    G.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Hey pal!
    When I built our front patio I bought a brick chisel. You just score a line on both sides with small blows from the hammer/chisel. Once it is scored then line your chisel up on the score-line and give it a good whack. Sorta like karate. ~~[p]Howdy to the boys!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gretl
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I'll give it a shot. We have one of those chisels--somewhere. Those split firebricks are so cheap I have no fear of failure.[p]I'll give your salutations to the boys--Poor Old Jim's felled by a kidney stone. He's taking the same painkiller as Rush Limbaugh. I can safely say that's the only thing those two dudes have in common. Jim goes to the hospital Friday to have the stone yanked out (cross your legs while reading this) and we have every reason to expect all will go well. He's had them before. It seems that everything he loves to eat and drink causes kidney stones. Figures, huh?
    Cheers,
    Gretl (bad weather's moving in here, too. Yuck)

• ravnhaus
    Options
    Hmm...
    I have a water ring saw for cutting glass. I might try some fancy cutting this afternoon and see what I can come up with.
    Will post some picts if anything useful come out of it.
    Thanks again for the idea.

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    338%3C3%3C4%3B23232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A3%3D677%3Dxroqdf%3E2323436%3A2%3A732ot1lsi
    <p />Memphis, use only stainless steel carriage bolts 1/2" threadand about 5" long. and had nuts spot-welded to large flat washers for the legs. best place to buy: Lowe's (approx $23.00 total cost) [p]338%3C3%3C4%3B23232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A3%3D677%3Dxroqdf%3E2323436%3A344%3B%3Aot1lsi

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,
    How does one spot weld the washer on? I thought welding stainless steel was more difficult than plain steel. Did you have a welding shop do that? [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Stainless isn't more difficult, just takes different equipment/technique.[p]Find a local welding shop/guy and take him a BBQ'ed and pulled pork butt. Just give it to him and talk to him about welding and BBQ. [p]Next time you need any welding done, it's cheap or free (or costs another butt)[p]BBQ, the new currency.[p]BOBinFla
  • Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    Options
    Nature Boy, Thanks for the picture. I did not want to use the bricks because I thought they took up to much room. You have solved that problem. Buying some bricks and a cheap grill tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!![p]Thanks to all !!