Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a different long cook

Options
Cutlet
Cutlet Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Its football season and am looking to do a long cook on Saturday. Long being anything over 2 hours. I'm looking to do something different as I seem to always do butts, ribs, and brisket which are all great but want to do something else. Let me know. Thanks!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Pot of chili or gumbo will work.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Pulled beef is pretty good. Big hunks of chuck, lo-n-slo, with some foiling. I've not had any quite as fall apart as pork butt, but still shredable.

Also, corned beef soaked for 48 hours, then covered with pastrami spices makes a really fine sandwich. Steam the slices before putting on bread.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Wings...cook them at 275 -300 indirect for 2-3 hrs so they are nice & crispy and have maple bacon wrapped tater tots cooking above the wings for the last 40 minutes or so. That way the bacon drips on the wings...OMG.. :silly:
  • eggmarc
    Options
    Try pulled beef. I did a 5# chuck roast last week. 250 at grid for approx 2hrs/lb. Took off egg at 205-210 internal. I didn't foil or spray. Just low and slow and never touched it. Great bark. It doesn't pull as easy as pork and it took longer then I expected. Sure was great sandwiches mixed with SBR's. I certainly will do it again.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Italian sausage and peppers is one of my favorites. Served over a nice farfalle or penne. Takes 4-5 hours to reduce all the veggies, and the flavors are incredible. I add a couple chunks of cherry wood to this cook.

RawVeg800.jpg

Sausages800.jpg

SausageLayered800.jpg

OnEgg800.jpg

Done800.jpg

Plated800.jpg
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Nice looking cook, I'd like to try it. What temperture did you do the reduction at and besides peppers and onions it looks like you added tomato sacuce? Any other spicing?

Doug
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    have you tried different rib recipes like cats rib recipe or chinese style ribs or big honkin beef ribs. chinese ribs are good because you can have terryaki beef sticks ready to throw on at half time, only takes a minute to cook the sticks once the fire gets hot enough.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Keithww
    Options
    Whole Sirloin cooked low and slow like a prime rib roast, heck a prime rib roast is good. I'm thinking of spatchcocking a turkey just to give it a try.