Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Darn Stuffing - NOT in the Turkey!

Options
Pakak
Pakak Posts: 523
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since it's getting close to turkey time, I'll submit my favorite stuffing. I didn't come up with the recipe but got it from a coworker of my ex-wife. Where he got it, I have no idea but it's become one of my signature dishes for the holidays.[p]Southwestern Cornbread Stuffing[p]
The Cornbread:[p]Cornmeal – 2 C
Flour – 1 C
Sugar – 6 tsp
Baking powder – 1 tbsp
Baking soda – ½ tsp
Butter (melted) – 1 stick
Buttermilk – 1 ½ C
Egg(s) whole – 3 large[p]Preheat oven to 400º ; Butter 9x13-1/2x2 pan well; Mix dry ingredients; Beat wet ingredients together; Blend both together; Bake ~ 30 minutes; Crumble and let dry overnight in oven after heat has been turned off.[p]
The Stuffing:[p]Onions – 2 sautéed
Celery – 1 C diced
Green pepper – 1 chopped
Red pepper – 1 chopped
Garlic – 7 cloves
Salt – to taste
Pepper – to taste
Cumin – 1 tbsp
Chili powder – 1 tbsp
Cilantro – ½ bunch
Parsley – ½ bunch
Coriander – 1 tsp
Thyme – 1 tsp
Jalapeño peppers – 3 chopped
Creamed corn – 1 can
Chicken/vegetable broth – 1 can [p]Stuffing: Blend ingredients with the broken cornbread. Moisten to your likeness with 1 can creamed corn & canned broth (I like mine dry and usually don’t add the broth) to your consistency. Bake in 9x13-1/2x2 pan at 325º-350º until browned.

Comments

• Pakak,
    This looks great , may try a small batch for me and the one that must be obeyed. As for the rest of the hungry mob that attend Thanksgiving Dinner at our house it will have to be that same old family cornbread dressing recipe that we been makin for yrs (posted it sometime back , may have been under "Carolina Dressing"). One thing you might try is more broth, my recipe is probably 3 times as much and I might wind up putting 5 or 8 cans of broth. Anyway I know it's enough when I can take a big spoon and it kinda pours out of it, we cover ours with foil and cook it at 350 for a long time, it comes out about the consistency of bread pudding. Hate that dressing some people make that you have to spoon into your plate. Never ate at a shelter but I always think of that when I see that thin, watery kind of dressing.

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Chet,[p]I like my dressing dry. I know others like it wetter, but since I make it, I get to make it the way I like, right? LOL I make mine wet by putting gravy on it!! Last Christmas I made a ham, so didn't have any gravy. I had made some green chile a few days before and it made really good "gravy" in a pinch!