Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super Burger dogs

Options
Rumrunner
Rumrunner Posts: 563
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I used 3 1/4 oz of plain straight Ground Chuck for each one. Flattened out to just a tad longer than the dog. I added a couple slices of Colby Jack cheese and then molded the burger around the dog and the cheese. Just a sprinkling of S n P and garlic powder on the burger first. I pinched the ends tight and rolled a slice of bacon around the burgerdog and fastened each end with a toothpick. I then dusted lightly with Dizzy Pig's Dizzy Dust for added flavor. I put the finished product in the freezer for approx 45 minutes to 'set up' and be easier to handle for the grill. [p]These were grilled direct, on a grid extender, for about 15 minutes at 325-350° dome temp, turning a few times. Straight lump, no extra smoke added. [p]Would I do anything different? Yes, I would. I would try and use hot dogs, or sausage, with the cheese already inside. Ball Park makes a ‘bun size ‘sausage that would work well, too. I would cook indirect over a pan of water, to catch the bacon grease and cheese, and then finish for a few more minutes direct to brown up. [p]This is a keeper! My wife tried hers nekkid, but I put mine on a piece of bread with catsup. MMMMMMmm........The little sub rolls I bought y'day would've been better, but they are still on the supermarket check out counter, I guess, cuz they ain't around here!![p]I was MORE than happy with the results. I might tweak the seasonings (mebbe Cowlick?), change the cheese next time (Jalapeno or Swiss) and possibly add some chopped onion in there some where ;). I didn't have much problem with the ground chuck, but if one were to use use a leaner burger, I would suggest putting in an egg to help bind the meat together. Serving with some grilled peppers and onions wouldn't hurt anything, either![p]1-3-1.jpg[p]1-4-2.jpg[p]I have more photos upon request

Comments

• Rumrunner,[p]Looks like a fantastic meal for my teenage son, who doesn't like anything green...[p]If we could incorporate tacos into the meat somehow (no lettuce/tomatoes...), it would be a complete meal for him.[p]MM
  • Rumrunner
    Options
    MapMan,
    How about serving the finished product in soft taco shells with salsa on the side?

• Rumrunner,[p]That's it! My son's perfect meal - thanks :)[p]MM[p]Probably drench it in cheese sauce...
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    Those really look good! Obscene in fact. [p]Not exactly low fat, low cholesterol though....[p]Great idea. The other night I did Brats and Burgers, never considered combining them....next time. My 17 year old would suck a couple of those down real fast. [p]Mike in MN

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Rumrunner,[p]I've been wanting to do these. Thanks for the blazing the trail and posting those photos.
    I think a little chopped onion and mustard in the bun with some fries and a beer on the side would be just about perfect. Cheers![p]John

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Rumrunner,[p]When I heard discussion about this a few weeks back, I never thought I'd even consider trying it. Looking at your pics and description, though, has me thinking of doing them next weekend at the Meadowlands.[p]On a related note, didn't Theo Huxtable talk about "Bacon Burger Dogs" with his friend, Walter (aka - Cockroach), on the Cosby Show a few years back?[p]Not sure why I remember that. Two seconds of googling yields this jumptheshark.com link:[p]http://www.jumptheshark.com/c/cosbyshow.htm[p]where one poster mentions the bacon burger dog. Nothing more, though...[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Rumrunner
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Pretty easy, once you get the hang of it ;) There are more pics.......some where......not sure if you've seen them all? The key is to 'mold' the burger around the dog and refrigerate promptly.[p]I never watched the Cosby Show, so not sure if mentioned there or not.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Rum:[p]I saw your pictorial on the other forum. Nice pictures! This is really a great grilling idea for kids of all ages. (smilie thingie) Thanks for sharing.
    [/b]