Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Turkey Breast

Smokin' TSmokin' T Posts: 259
edited 10:32PM in EggHead Forum
Looking for a good and simple recipe to litely smoke a 5 lb turkey breast without brining it. Hopefully I can cook it to the juicy and tender point w/ a crisp skin. Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated in advance. :)

Dunedin Fl

• Smokin'T,

Here's a link to a writeup of a simple turkey breast cook on our blog:

Basically, cook indirect using fruit wood of some sort for smoke. For most poultry, I use a spice rub or paste under the skin. I cook at between 350-375, and I like the way the skin comes out. If you like it crispier, you can bump the temp toward the end of your cook. I pull mine at 160 internal, let it rest for 10-15 minutes, and carve.

Good luck,

• I cook mine very similar to John's. I have cooked on the stand, in a wok and in a pan. I like the stand for a crispy skin. I cook at 325 dome and do not open the BGE for the first 1.5 hours--I usually cook a 10 lb or more. I coat it with olive oil and shove fresh herbs under the skin and in the cavity prior to the cook. I alos pull at 160 and let it rest for 30 minutes or more. I have had great success. Check out Mad Max's recipe on the Naked Whiz's site for some hints--I adapted mine from that. Post pics!