Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lookin for easy pork loin recipe

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
believe it or not, i've never done a pork loin on the egg (or in the oven for that matter). . .costco had big loins last night for $1.79 per pound so i bought one. . ..i plan to cut it into a 2 separate roasts . . [p]ok, so now what do i do with the thing. . .i need help on egg set up (direct/indirect/over platesetter?). . .. temps/times, etc. . .[p]i'm thinkin something with apples. . .but let me know what you guys do. .[p]thanks[p]max

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    porkroast1.jpg
    <p />mad max beyond eggdome,
    here is what we do. It always turns out great![p]
    ~nikki

[ul][li]Pork Loin[/ul]
  • LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I cook a lot of these. 2 of my favorites are covered in Dizzy dust or Swamp Venom than wrapped in bacon at about 325 deg dome temp. indirect with a drip pan and plate setter. A 6 pounder will cook for about 1 3/4 hours for a internal temp of about 145 wrap in foil for about 40 minutes and enjoy! Watch the juice fill your cutting platter. My family loves these. I did two 6 pounders for the inlaws Monday they all loved it.
    Jeff Bouchard

• LOG
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I forgot to mention a couple of healthy chunks of Hickory.
    Now you've got my mouth watering!
    Jeff Bouchard

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LOG,
    both you and nicci and mr. toad all wrap in bacon. . .does that add that much to the loin?. . .whats it like without the bacon?. . .i like dizzy dust (wonder if it would also be as good with raging river). . .i also want to do some apples with it (either stuffed in the middle, or simple as a side dish (sauted in butter w/cinamon). .. .

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Have you seen MrToad's recipe? I'd give that a shot, it's fantastic!

• LOG
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I have never tried it without bacon. I also have never tried with the raging river. I have only used that on Nature Boys Salmon recipe and I use it in place of Old Bay sprinkling it over my crabs. I get these with very little fat cap and if overcooked they can be dry so I feel the Bacon not only adds flavor but helps keep it moist. Plus my family loves to eat the bacon after. Bad but ohhh so good.
    Good Luck
    Jeff Bouchard

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LOG,
    thanks jeff, i appreciate it. ..will layer with bacon. . .i'll probably give the dizzy dust a go the first time around. ..sounds really good. ..

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I came across this recipe (included below) today. It looks like it's easily adaptable to the Egg, and it includes apples, as you request. From the other responses, you could add a bacon wrap to prevent it from drying out.[p]Pity me now---I am EGGLESS until some renovations are completed on our house. I can't tell you how much we miss Egged food.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl[p]Honey Roast Pork with Apple Chutney (serves 6)
    Preparation time: 10 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour [p]Ingredients
    1 cup apple cider vinegar (divided)
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup olive oil (divided)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
    1 boneless pork loin roast, about 2 pounds
    salt to taste
    freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 medium onion, diced
    2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
    1/2 cup raisins (I'd use dried cranberries or cherries)
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root[p]Cooking Instructions
    1. In a small mixing bowl, whisk 1/2 cup of the vinegar, the honey, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, garlic and thyme together. [p]2. Season the pork with salt and pepper and place it in a resealable plastic bag. Pour the vinegar mixture into the bag, seal the bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight. [p]3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. [p]4. Remove the pork from the bag, place it in a roasting pan and add the chicken broth to the pan. Roast it in the oven for about an hour, or until a meat thermometer registers 160 degrees. Let the pork roast rest for 10 minutes at room temperature. [p]5. Meanwhile, make the apple chutney. In a nonstick skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. [p]6. Add the vinegar, apples, raisins (or cranberries), sugar and ginger root and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the apples are tender. [p]7. Slice the pork and serve it with apple chutney.

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Let me first say that neither of these ideas are original ideas of mine, but I love them. You can either spiral cut the loin and roll it out, or just cut slits in it and stuff it. I spriral cut them, and spread garlic, rosemary, and a heavy dose of pepper and roll it back up. Wrap it up with bacon and tie it up real tight and cook direct at 350* till about 145* internal. I roll it over 1/4 turn about every 15 minutes to cook the bacon evenly. The other way I do it is get a jar of Polaner blackberry preserves, the juice of an orange, and a good bit of orange zest. Heat this up in a small pot and reduce it down to a sticky state. Spread it all over the rolled out loin, mix in some walnuts, and put a litle kosher salt in there and roll it back up, wrap it up with bacon, tie it up real tight and cook direct like above. The bacon with the preserves will be the best thing that you will ever have, so reserve those little bits for the cook. Hope this helps.
    Seth

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    if you'd only learn to ask the right person in your life..... Stouffer's wild rice stuffing with apples added made with 2/3 of the water you'd normally put in (apples provide extra moisture) -- roll up ala your stuffed flank steak -- tie with a room temp "stretched" piece of bacon and bake whole........ This also makes an excellent stuffing for a whole heart (if you ever get really industrious).......

• your wyoming connection,
    PS -- the roast is very low fat content so the bacon helps keep it from turning in to jerky...........

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    your wyoming connection,
    thanks sis, i didn't know they ate pig in wyoming!! . . that recipe looks just about what i'm lookin for (i may add some golden raisins as well). . .and thanks to everyone else for the cookin times/temps/setups. . ..

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    porkloin2.jpg
    <p />mad max:[p]Here is a thought . . . See the link . . .

[/b]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I fall in the djm5x9 category. No stuffing or preserves, etc...to each his own.[p]I coat in a good rub of choice, marinade in soy sauce with a little lemon juice, rosemary and garlic. Grill direct at 300 till an internal of 150. (Figure about 20 min/pound)[p]I did one this past Sunday and let it set for 5 mins before slicing and when I pulled the foil back, it was sitting in plenty of it's own juice.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Shelby:[p]Doing the other half that was marinated over night in Yoshida's this evening. The Princess gave me strict instructions to stay off the phone at the critical temperature times . . .
    [/b]