Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ideas for solo cooks

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm single for about another 9 days since AlexShark is out of town. Getting lazier about cooking by the minute. What small quantity stuff could I whip up for myself on the mini or the small that would be fun and yummy? I think I'm in the steak and pork chop rut! Need some inspiration.[p]mShark

Comments

• MollyShark,
    crab cakes - a lot of stores will sell a small container of lump (about 8 oz.) that would be perfect for a couple of crab cakes (one today and one tomorow for lunch)[p]shrimp - rub with olive oil a little old bay and DP tsunami spin - buy just enough to suit your tastes[p]a big old honkin burger with kosher salt and DP cow lick (skip the bun, its better naked). .. [p]single tuna or salmon steak (DP ragin river or ken stone's gilded splinters). . .try grilling on a layer of lemon slices layed on the grill. . [p]how's that for starters??[p][p][p]

• mollyshark
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdomes,[p]Wow...great ideas. I've never done the crab cakes. Will check that out pronto. A honkin burger also sounds good (I always skip the bun!!). Sounds German. Honkinburger. A little ethnic never killed a person.[p]Thanks![p]mShark
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    MollyShark,
    go to Nature boy's dizzypigbbq.com . ..look under the recipes section and you'll see the whole crab cake recipe. . .

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    MollyShark,
    Beat some chicken breasts down to less than 1/2 thick and sear for a minute or two on each side after your favorite rub or marinade: tender and crispy. Enjoy.

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    MollyShark,
    I'm a dark meat chicken fan, and I like it kind of hot/sweet.[p]I make a simple marinade of brown sugar(small handful), mustard (coup[le of teaspoons), catsup (2-3 TBS.), balsamic vinegar (2-3 TBS.), worchestershire (2-3 TBS.)and soy sauce (2 TBS.) No set, magic amounts, just approximations. If i want it with a nice warmth, I throw in some ground cayanne or crushed red chili.[p]I then do this on an elevated grid so I don't crispy critter it. I use pecan and mesquite chips ( wonder where those come from) and baste occasionally till I think it's done. [p]I do this with thighs and frequently with wings.[p]BTW, your flippers will ship today.[p]Mike

• MollyShark,
    How about simple grilled boneless/skinless chix breasts, prepared however you choose, served on an onion roll bun or other type? I've even done them parmesan style, breaded & seasoned with a bit of sauce. Also, try halibut sandwiches seasoned with some lemon garlic or spin, carefully turning. What's wrong with having a little bit of leftover egg pizza too? A tasty & easy question.

• mollyshark
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Sounds great! All of these.[p]And looking forward to those flippers! Have to mount them all in a prominent place to show how special I am.[p]mShark
  • MollyShark,
    Some good ideas here... I may have to try a few of them myself.[p]Anyways, if you are in a rut like you mentioned then you might consider some lamb. I usually do mine with just a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. You might also consider Drbbq's mushrooms that everyone has talked about. I plan on trying some of them this weekend, if I aint out too long hunting.[p]Matt.

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]There's got to be something Alex doesn't like. When cooking for myself, I like to do things others complain about - too much smoke, too spicy, too this, too that. And then there's the times I just sneak in doing what I want anyway. Funny how they almost alway say how good the food is even when I made it contrary to what they've said they liked in the past. Anyway, I vote for doing something just for you!
  • Smokey Bob
    Options
    MollyShark,
    Spatchcock a chicken...you know it will ALWAYS get eaten one way or another!!![p]SB

• IQ
    IQ Posts: 16
    Options
    MollyShark,
    Portobello mushrooms; mix some olive oil, garlic & fresh rosemary, pour into the bottom side of the mushroom. Cook 400° 4-5 minute cap side down, flip add some blue cheese or fresh mozzarella cook until tender & enjoy.[p]Lewis E

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Pakak,
    I second that. Whenever I'm dining solo, I buy the most expensive, extravagent food I would ordinarily not choose to buy for a crowd. One serving is always affordable. So go for those great crabcakes, lobster, filet mignon, imported cheeses, caviar....or all of the above.
    Cheers,
    G.

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    MollyShark,
    how about some sort of kabobs eg. shrimp, chicken or lamb kabobs with bell pepper & onions
    sprinkled with your favorite rub & rosemary.