Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBack Rib question?

Options
BigGreenDawg
BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried babybacks on the new adj. rig this past Sat and am able to get 5 full slabs from Sams even though closing the lid takes a little adjustment. I was hoping to get six to lay flat but oh well.

The ribs came out very flavorful but not near as tender as they have been before and by no means were they falling off the bone; even though I cooked them a little lower temp than usual 225-240 instead of 250 for about 6 hours altogether. I didn't rotate the slabs like I would have liked due to their big size and the smaller slabs on the bottom rack did come out more tender(but not allot more). I spritzed 50/50 aj-acv every hour but did not foil; also they were cooked indirect. One other thing I noticed was the amount of fat on the meaty side of the ribs was too much for my preference. I think I will attempt to trim them up more before another go at it. Anyway I know many of you guys say that 100 different tries will come out 100 different ways but any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    Perhaps your temp was off. Maybe the dome temp was higher than the temp at the ribs. Or if the ribs were packed too close together, they also didn't get enough heat. That's my guess.
  • BigGreenDawg
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if both were the case since they were elbow to elbow in there even though the two bottom ones weren't so close; I will try again with 4 next time. Anybody try them raised but direct without a baking stone?