Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What temperature to cook Boston Butt ???

Options
Bama Egger
Bama Egger Posts: 137
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a five pount Boston butt in the Egg right now, pulled pork for tomorrow's party. It's at 158° at the moment. At what temperature should I take it off?

Comments

• Paul,
    There is a 72 hour moratorium on discussing temperatures or CAPITAL LETTERS. It seems everybody has their "panties in a knot" over those two subjects. JUST KIDDING! You will need to scroll back and read the last few days posts to understand the humor in that.[p]To answer your question, 192* for me and my family.[p]Marty

• Bama Egger
    Options
    thanks marty (no caps)
  • TRAILER MONKEY
    Options
    Paul,I can tell you the mistakes I made my first boston butt. First,once you have placed the butt on your egg,take a long hard look at it because you should not look at it again for 18 to 20 hours! Never lift the lid! Secondly,you should set your temp at 200 degrees and maintain this temp for the remainder of your cook. once it hits an internal temp of about 160,it will not hurt a thing if the temp goes above 200-300 degrees.you need to reach an internal temp of 180-190 degrees before removing. Once you remove, wrap butt in foil and place in an empty ice chest for 45 minutes. If you dont already own one, invest in a meat polder. It is the best investment I have made!....well...not including the egg!Good luck![p]

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Paul,
    A little lat with suggestions but here I go anyway.
    Maintaining 200º is almost impossible. Get your dome temp stabalized at 250º and cook. It's a lot easier to maintain than 200º I usuall cook to 190 take it in, wrap in foil pkace in a cooler with towels and let her sit for an hour or so. I've had them in the cooler for as long as four hours andthey were still HOT AS HELL. Pull when you're ready.