Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small egg v.s large egg

TRAILER MONKEY
TRAILER MONKEY Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have owned a large egg for about 5 months now, I absolutely love it! Since that time, I have given my father a large (chef fubar), and my brother a large. They to are addicted now, and are in a constant search for new gizmos and gadgets to use on their eggs! I am thinking of purchasing 3 more for my employees for Christmas. My question is as whether they will get the same enjoyment that I have using the small? Can you smoke a turkey on a small? does it do a great "low and slow" like my large? I dont want to spend this kind of $$$ if it will not perform like the large. Any comments on this subject would be greatly appreciated! By the way I made the Texas Eggfest and got to meet the infamous Spring Chicken, along with Grillmeister,and Haywire! I have put the ABT recipe to good use!Thanks to all!

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Trailer monkey,[p]An egg for a holiday gift for emplyees? You are a very generous boss, I want to work for you! [p]Smokey
  • Smokey,Its a small price to pay for my loyal sales staff! I only wish I could afford to purchase them a large.... I hope it is capable of doing as good a job! Oh, and by the way, I do have a positon available. All you need is a great attitude,a small but managable drinking problem, and an egg!!!

• Smokey
    Trailer Monkey,[p]I have the positive attitude and two eggs, but don't really drink (only an occasional adult beverage)!

• Smokey,OK man, as long as you agree to keep ice on the beer and maintain a 200 temp when we do low and slows! Those temp guages get a little hard to read after ten or twelve tall boys!![p]
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Trailer monkey,[p]Can I send you my resume?[p]TRex
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Trailer Monkey:[p]You may be interested to know that the trailer park one half mile from BGE HQ is no more. That lot and the old motel lot are being redeveloped . . . A sad day for Trailer Dwellers everywhere . . .
  • Smokey
    Trailer monkey,[p]Can do both well. I'll even be the designated driver!!

• TRex,no need for a resume,but would like to review your recipes for the egg. you will also need to supply your own tools! grid lifter, polder, etc. !!

• djm5x9,Im sorry to hear this, but if you get a chance go by there and salvage some of old scrap trailer floors. That particle board will really produce some smoke on your egg! Try and stay clear of the bathroom areas; this wood will make your meat taste like S--T!!!

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Trailer monkey,[p]I've never done a turkey on my small, so can't comment there, but other than that, my small can do anything my large can and it's the BEST cooker for steaks in my opinion. Our longest low and slow was an 8 lb. pork butt that went 18 hrs. Filled the cooker with lump up to the top of the fire ring. [p]The biggest difference I see in the two is the volume of items you can fit on it, rather than what you can do with it.[p]QBabe
    :~)

• Trailer monkey,[p]First off, I wish someone would give me an egg for Christmas.. Oh yeah, Mrs. GrillMeister approved the small I picked up at the Texas Eggfest [grin].[p]The small is a great little egg and it is easily transportable. I'm buying one for the in-laws for Christmas and I'll be cooking on it every day while I'm there.[p]I believe it will be a gift that will be appreciated in ways you cannot imagine. I can't think of a better way to be introduced to Eggism and your three employees will be welcome here for lots of support and encouragment.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister,I met you at the Eggfest in Temple Tx., you had just procured a small egg at that time I believe. Have you had a chance to do a low and slow, or any large meats on it yet? I saw your pics of your cookout in the rain yesterday! I also Braved the weather, and did some countrystyle ribs. Today, I plan on grinding up the leftovers, and using them for some ABTs! I ground the meat in a processor,then added Elder Wards pork butt sauce. I sure hope they turn out good! PS. I think I could see the smoke coming off your Egg from over here at Circle C Ranch!

• QBabe,Thanks for the info. As long as it will do a butt for 18 hrs., its good enough for me!

• Trailer monkey,I did two 8 lb. boston butts(16 lbs meat) on my small last weekend...15 hours at 220 degrees on one load of charcoal.The small uses a lot less charcoal than the large.I have never tried a turkey on the small, could be a tight fit to get it in there. There is no platesetter available for the small, so I use a second level grill above a pizza stone on the lower grill for indirect cooking.I wish my boss gave away eggs!

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    trailermonkey,[p]The 8 lb butt should have only taken 16 hrs, but we had a problem with a false dome reading and didn't realize it at the time. Most of the 6 lb butts I do only take 12 hrs...just wanted to clarify it shouldn't normally take that long...I usually go by the 2 hrs/lb rule for 250° dome.[p]QBabe
    :~)

• 2butts.jpg
    <p />trailermonkey,[p]The ribs were great & I just put 16.5 lbs of pork on for tomorrow afternoon. My last cook before I head to Europe for a couple of weeks.[p]I have not had a chance to use my small for a low & slow yet as I have two larges as well. I will be using it for a Boston Butt some time after Thanksgiving in preparation for doing one on my in-laws new one they'll get for Christmas. I'll also do a brisket on it as well.[p]Two fire bricks will fit fine and provide a nice base for a drip pan & rack in which to place the brisket or pork butt. Toss on some hickory and you're set.[p]There's a brickyard on 290 near Oak Hill where you can get the fire brick halves (half as thick) for $1.89 each.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Trailer monkey,
    If you need any extra help in your business, whatever it may be let me know. I need a boss like you. Eggs-mas Whooo Hooo!