Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

blood pressure dropping

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,665
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
been monitoring my blood pressure since starting this, im averaging about 124 over 78, used to be slightly higher on the top number but the bottom number was more like 88, even before i dropped the meds against dr's orders. anyone know how bad 124 systolic is for someone mid forties, what problems is caused by that, seems close enough for what i see on the web for recommended pressures. wonder what it would be if i stopped the beer diet and excersized
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Fishless,

Depends on any other health problems you might have.

124/78 is an excellent BP by most all standards. The bottom number (diastolic) is the most important one for heart health as it reflects the "rest' the heart gets between beats (pretty simplistic answer :( ). An extremely high systolic (top) number sets up a risk for a stroke.

"textbook" Bp is 120/80. I strive to keep mine at or below 117/76. This comes from the book "Real Age" (and website), where on can see the things to do to try to keep your physiologic (body) age less than your chronologic (calendar) age.

Hope that rambling helps! Bottom line - you're doing great !
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    closest health problem was my grandfather, heartattack at 52. would like to see the top number drop before i get another dr appointment, it always reads higher at the dr office than at home. maybe the next 20 pounds lost will fix that :) does coffee effect the top number, if i have 1 cup a day it turns into more than a dozen cups for the day, i cant stop drinking it once i start.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman wrote:
    ... it always reads higher at the dr office than at home ...
    Same here. The doctor calls it white coat hypertension. I bought a home BP monitor and log my BP three times a day for the week before my checkup. She still checks it there of course, and it's always high, but she goes by my measurements for diagnosis. In my case, it makes the difference between meds and no meds.