Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday's cook (Beef Ribs)

Smokin' T
Smokin' T Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did these beef ribs using the 4-1-1 method @ 250 degrees dome temp. Seasoned with plain old kosher salt and pepper on half of the ribs , and a Memphis Rub on the other half of the ribs. Delicious!! B)

Ribs loaded on the BGE
BGEloadedwithbeefribs.jpg

2 Hrs into cook
2Hrsintocook.jpg

Completed cook
2finishedbeefribs.jpg

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Smokin' T,

They look great! How long did you go in total?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jwr3
    jwr3 Posts: 61
    They look awesome. I tried cooking beef ribs once, but did not get the desired tenderness (they were still chewy), but I only cooked them for about 5 hours at 250. Your ribs look fall-off-the-bone tender.
  • Smokin' T
    The total cook time was 6 Hrs. 4Hrs indirect, plate setter (legs up), drip pan w/water, cooking grate and rib rack. Then, 1 Hr in aluminum foil pan W/ 1/2 cup of beef, vegetable or chicken broth. Then, 1 Hr direct turning every 15 or 20 min. while saucing if desired. I kept heat @ 250 dome. Very tender, very pleased. B):whistle:
  • jwr3
    jwr3 Posts: 61
    thanks. I'll give that a shot.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Beef ribs are my favorite. I cooked some a few days ago and skipped the foil step for the first time and they still came out great. Make sure you get Beef back ribs and not short ribs.

Smokin' T: Those ribs look great. I'm lucky to have a good source of meaty Beef Back Ribs locally. I think I'll make some more this coming weekend.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Smokin' T
    Thanks Barry, the next time I cook beef ribs I'm going to skip the foil step. I'll compare the differences if there are any, bye the way, I always make sure I'm buying beef ribs. Did you just cook them on your grate for the 6 Hr limit @ 250 degree dome?

Tom
    Dunedin,Fl
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I use a rib rack which is another reason I stopped using foil. Taking them out of the rack, putting them in foil, and then putting them back on the rib rack was too much work. I cook them at 250 for 5or so hours until they are tender.

My comment about Beef Back Ribs was due to the fact that I once bought uncut short ribs which looked great, but were pretty tough. Short ribs are part of the chuck and must be cooked differently
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Those look great, one of the few cooks I haven't tried yet; but not for long. Well, until I find a nice looking set of beef ribs.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Great looking beef ribs. Still on my list to try. They look mighty tasty.