Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex gaps

Davekatz
Davekatz Posts: 763
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thought I did a pretty good job installing my new Nomex gasket, but it's started to shrink up a little, leaving 1/8 or so gaps.

Ignore them?
or
Try to fill them in?

Thanks,

Dave
Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.

Comments

• Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    I have a small gap too but haven't seen any problems (loss of heat or smoke) Ignore it. For anyone doing a new gasket a tip is to make sure your gaps don't end up in the same location. Have one at 12 and the other at 6.
  • Pick up a tube of high temperature silicone at an auto parts store and fill in the gap to the same height as the gasket.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    besides planning the offset in advance it's best to pre-shrink the Nomex by placing it in a hot clothes dryer for 10 minutes, but it's too late now
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ***PRIOR TO READING MY STORY BELOW***
    A) This is do at your own risk
    B) Do NOT let the nomex gaskets get too close to your oven's heating element or gas outlet.
    Ok, let's continue.

Yep, after I fry a gasket...and I do it right. Oops. I find it's also a wonderful thing to put the nomex in the oven while it is preheating. Don't forget to sigh a lot and look lovingly at the egg because you'd rather be firing it up than waiting for your oven to come to temp. I have zero shrinkage and I took my gaskets up to about 350 prior to installation.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    When you fill in the gap, do you have to leave the BGE open until it dries? Maybe you cover the silicone with a plastic wrap and close the BGE until it dries? Any suggestions?
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    I watched SmokingGuitarPlayer's nomex installation video, like his idea of positioning the joints at the 3 and 9 spots, because 12 is usually the hottest spot and 6 gets in your way when cooking.
    canuckland
  • I would let it set a couple of hours maybe until there is a goob skim coat. Then place some saran wrap over it and close the egg until fully cured. Alternatively you could make a little peak or ridge along the top at the gasket height so it will flaten when the lid closes.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try as soon as my egg is idle for a day.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA