Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me with my tough boneless chix breasts!!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, it seems I can never get my boneless chicken breasts to come out tender as they should be... I have tried many ways and always they are very juicy but tough and chewy.[p]I have had no such problems with my spatchcock or chicken parts with bones and skin.... they always come out juicy and tender as can be...[p]So how do you all do your boneless chix breasts? I need help.

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Nardi,
    I had the same problem, until Bluesmoke helped me out. I cook them like him. Pound out the breast until it's about 1/2 inch think across. Heat egg to 400*. Cook 4-5 miuntes a side, then another 2 minutes per side. The additional 2 minutes per side are to get the 'cross' grill marks on the meat. Has been working for me. Hope the same goes to you.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Nardi,
    Could be the meat I suppose...maybe older tougher chickens? Or they are getting overcooked.[p]I cook them pretty hot (sometimes I pound them, but if they are fairly evenly think I don't). Hot coals (like 500), and a few minutes per side, or until 165 (tops) in the center. 160-165 seems to be the window. Anything more just gets tougher.[p]A short brine might give you what you are looking for?
    Couple idears. Hope it helps.
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Nardi,[p]Bone-in and boneless seem to act like two different animals. The bone help in part due to it helping cook the meat from the inside (the bone transfers the heat and helps cook the chicken). Higher temp will help, but even thickness is also part of the key. I find that marinading also helps. Last week I did some, soaked in Italian dressing, a bit of soy sauce and herbs. Turned out well. I ended up slicing it and putting it on top of a salad![p]Smokey
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Nardi,
    My cure-all on chicken, and often pork chops and wings is several hours in a marinade of balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, mustard, worchestershire and brown sugar. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems that the breasts don't dry out as badly....great flavor, too.[p]Mike

• Nardi,[p]Bone-in is better for flavor and moisture. 15 minutes per side.[p]But if you are doing boneless, best results are hot and fast, about 10 minutes per side. Sprinkle some poultry seasoning on and baste with a honey/butter mixture, halfway through cooking on each side. 400°F.[p]-MM
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Nardi,
    Pound them to an even thickness of about .5 inch or a tad thinner. Cook's Illustrated magazine did an article on grilled b/s chicken breasts awhile back and according to the research, that's the key to keeping them tender. Marinade for flavor, but to keep them tender and moist...thin meat, hot temp, grill for just a few minutes/side.
    Cheers,
    G.

• Nardi,[p]I had the same problem. It seemed to come because I was trying to cook them at too low temperature. Once I started cooking at higher temps (400 and above) they have come out great. [p]Hooter[p]
  • Nardi, I had problems with my tough chick's boneless breasts too! I found out this biker babe was more likely to love me tender after she had been internally marinated with a few beers...........[p]But seriously, it sounds to me like you might be over cooking them. If you are cooking with high heat, try taking them off at 155ºF. They should rise another 5ºF after removing them from the grill and 160ºF is the minimum USDA recommended internal temperature for the poultry breast meat.[p]Lager,[p]JDB[p]