Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket

Options
Woody
Woody Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been lurking around the past couple of weeks since I put my Weber to pasture and entered the EGG Underworld! I guess an intro would be in order: Hi....I'm Woody and I'm an Eggaholic. I purchased the Large BGE two weeks ago and have had a blast experimenting with different foods, cook times, smoke, etc.[p]Anyway, here's my problem. I was doing a couple of steaks ala TRex method last night. I helped the egg get up to temp with a small electric fan for the sear, this probably was not neccessary as the temp went up quickly and dome temp was pushing 1300* F. This caused my gasket to melt and the glue was running down the inside of the egg in some spots. I cooked the steaks anyway and needless to say the had a bitter smoked glue taste. :-( I've got a new gasket on the way but I'm concerned that due to the porous nature of ceramic that this is going to affect the taste of the food cooked on the BGE in the future. Is there anything I can do to get the smell/glue flavor out of there.[p]Thanks[p]Woody

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Hi Woody and welcome to the forum..... most are nice and helpful..... only a couple bite. :~)[p]I think if you were to scrape off any glue residues that remain inside, clean it out along with the old lump and fire it up for a few hours with fresh lump, without food, then it should burn off any bad stuff.
    Good luck.[p]John [p]

• Woody
    Woody Posts: 45
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot.[p]Woody
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Woody,
    while your digging around in the Egg, check out your fire box for cracks, hitting that temp like I did cracked my fire box, melted my gasket and glued the lid shut.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Woody,
    I'm just curious - were you aiming to get to 1300 or did that happen by accident? Even when I have tried to hit nuke temps for sake of cleaning the best I can get is about 825 and that was next to impossible to maintain as the lump is really being consumed at that point. Have you recently calibrated your thermometer?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.