Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Brats in beer?

Options
Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've seen a few discussions on boiling brats in beer. My plan for the Chiefs on Sunday is to boil in beer, here is where I need help. How long? Then, I plan on cooking on mini at game.
Thanks,
9-0 by 3:15[p]
CWM

Comments

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I do mine until they are done, then I throw them on the grill to toughen up the skin. That is how my wife and I like them. We also prefer using a stout for our beer of choice....gives a nice flavor.[p]-Kevin

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I simmer them in beer and some eastern carolina pulled pork bbq sauce, vinegar based. I always wind up with extra and needed to find another use for it. Once the liquid starts to reduce, almost gone, pull them or they will start to brown. Put on the egg to brown the outside and there you go!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Buckiquer
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I cut up onions and put in the beer along with the Brats. Cook until the Brats are almost done and put on the grill to finish. By then the beer should be boiled away and the onions nice and tender.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Buckiquer, The onions seem to be a nice touch. Thanks for all responses.[p]CWM

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, you may already have you plan of attack in mind, but my approach is different than any posted so far (though I post sloooooowww). Make a long story short I too like to simmer the brats in a combo of beer and saurkraut all in a large skillet on the stove - OH HEAVEN FORBID - always "pricking" the brats before hand with a sharp pointed knife for small slits to absorb the beer/juice. cook that way until graty in color, and then trf to Mr egg for the "turn turn turn - never burn" techique.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, you may already have you plan of attack in mind, but my approach is different than any posted so far (though I post sloooooowww). Make a long story short I too like to simmer the brats in a combo of beer and saurkraut all in a large skillet on the stove - OH HEAVEN FORBID - always "pricking" the brats before hand with a sharp pointed knife for small slits to absorb the beer/juice. cook that way until graty in color, and then trf to Mr egg for the "turn turn turn - never burn" techique.

• Car Wash Mike and everyone-[p][whispering] Pssst... I live in the land of brats, and I'll let you in on a family secret which will make you the bratmeisters of the area:[p]Okay now listen carefully......................[p]You sear then FIRST, then you simmer then in beer. Not the other way around. Searing them (use tongs - never, never poke 'em with a fork!!!) removes a lot of the fat (yes, there is a lot of fat in brats, but that makes 'em taste great), and locks in the flavors. Simmering them in beer then makes them tender. You can use that stale beer up from your last bash, it doesn't matter. [p]And cut up plenty of sweet onions and simmer them with the brats. They can be used to top the brats on the bun, and since you removed the fat from the brats, the onions won't be greasy. Oh, and never, never put anything but kraut and mustard (brown is great) on a brat. No ketchup (or catsup) on a brat - NEVER![p]Now try this method, and tell 'em who told ya to try it this way. You'll never boil 'em first again. [p]MM[p]

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    MapMan,[p]Is it true that there are specific rolls for brats that can only be had in brat-land? Hot dog buns are too small and hoagie or steak rolls seem to have too much bread to brat ratio. Can you mail order them?[p]Thanks,
    QBabe
    :~)

• QBabe,[p]Yes, brat buns are a little "heavier duty" than the weiner buns, with a harder "skin", sort of like a hoagie, but like you said, has less bread to brat ratio. Scientific terms, huh? Most every bakery makes 'em up here, even the local ones. Probably don't ship well. [p]But, you can make your own. Here is a link:[p]http://www.bratwurstpages.com/brats.html[p]Has info on how to cook 'em like a true bratmeister! [p]MM
  • RRP
    Options
    ST,
    huh?