Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do I use - Grill temp or Dome temp?

Memphis
Memphis Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just bought a Redi check ET-73. The instructions say to attach one of the probes to the grid using the supplied clip. Knowing there is a difference between grid and dome temps - would I get a more accurate cook if I put the probe in the dome ? Through the the temp gauge hole ?

Comments

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Memphis,
    grill temp is going to be different than dome temp. grill temp has all that cold meat on it.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    jwitheld,
    Ultimately, it's the internal temp you're going for. I clipped the probe to the grill for pulled pork a couple of weeks ago and found the temp fluctuated rather wildly for a while, then settled down. Pork shoulder internal temp eventually reached 200 and the flavor and texture just couldn't be beat. [p]Next cook (turkey breast), I used the probe in the dome, let the temp stay between 325 and 350, and waited until the internal temp reached 170. I'm guessing I didn't have the internal probe positioned quite right, because the meat was just slightly underdone; could have gone another 20 min or so...the skin wasn't crisp and the meat didn't come away from the bone as easily as I like. [p]I think I'll keep trying with the dome temp. Long answer to short question![p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Memphis, as jwitheld said it's the internal temp that matters. I don't believe it makes any difference which temp you follow(grid or dome)as long as are consistent with your process.[p]For example, I have found that for most of my cooks I can add about 40° or so, to the recipe temp, when I measure at the dome. This gives me the results I like. If I was measuring at the grid I would need to experiment a little to determine what grid temp gives me the results I want.[p]Bottom-line is that you want to find out what temp gives you the outside doneness the way you like it when the internal temp is at the temp you want.

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    CR,
    keep in mind that your kitchen oven temp can fluctuate as much as + or - 20 degrees thats 40 overall. temp is important but its not that critical, except the meat internal temp.
    cook using dome temp (its where most thermometers are anyway) and if needed adjust your cooking temps, i doubt any adjustment will be called for.

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    jwitheld, agreed. I think that many make too much of a lot of things that really don't make that much of a difference. In the end you find out what works for you and go with it.

• I'd stick with dome temperature. Like others have said, that's where the thermometer is and it is the reference point that most people on the forums use when speaking of cooking temperature.