Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Rubs - do they really matter?

mojo
mojo Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Riddle me this ... I have only made 2 butts for pulled pork, and both were spectacular. I used Elder Ward's recipe for the rub. The bark was bold and the meat inside incredibly moist, tender and flavorful. But does the chosen rub really penetrate the meat that much so that that a different flavor can be imparted by applying a different rub? The bark comes out so "thick" that I just can't imagine the choice of rub making that much of a difference. I know, I should just try a different one, or make 2 butts side by side with different rubs and judge for myself ... but the Elder Ward rub is so darn good I'm almost afraid to try anything else!

I have also read posts here from Spring Chicken and now DrZaius who describe injecting the butt and even brining prior to cooking. Can it really get any better than just a dry rub?? I mean, good gracious!

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Sure it can get better. The rub is to add flavor to the bark only. Don't think it can penetrate to the middle and flavor the meat (that's where an injection can help)

Try adding a spicy rub and then sample the bark, you will definitely taste it.
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    I can tell the difference in sweet and spicy rubs on my butts. That being said, I use my GOOD rubs for sprinkling on the freshly pulled pork. Nothing better!! Good luck!! :)
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    I just injected my first butt last weekend, and it made a difference. The rub will only affect the bark, unless you sprinkle it on the pulled pieces.

Try an injection, I think you will like it.
  • :blink: what is the difference between injected butts by you or enhanced butts by the manufacturer??? besides some spices???
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    normal enhanced protein products are water, salt, phos.
    injected with MANY injection needles. Home application usually is one needle and home made brew and distributed as best we can. So I guess your answer is, nothing! My question to the original post would be, if you after 2 cooks have determined it can't get any better, why even consider any other process.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I don't really look at the rub as trying to penetrate to the inside. I want a flavorfull bark so when its done I can mix up the bark with all the inside meat. If you were to take all the bark off and only eat the inside meat then I would say rub isn't all that important but who does that?
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    I'm glad you asked the question - have had thoughts about though.

So might I submit that when it comes to influencing the taste of the pork the smoke is more critical? Guess one could say rub and smoke are both critical to influence the taste of the pork especially if you mix the bark with the pulled pork??

Just wondering.
  • mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    Thanks for the responses everyone, it's interesting to see how folks interpereted my original question, and I've learned a lot from the answers. I now understand that the rub (and smoke) influence the flavor of the bark only, and it's the blending of the bark with the pulled pork that adds flavor to the pulled meat. If additional flavor is to be added to the pulled meat, then a pre-cook injection can be used. I also liked the idea to sprinle a little rub on the pulled meat. Mmmm, I'm getting hungry.

Bill, I would assume that smoke and rubs would influence the flavor equally - - just guessing?