Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

funny taste

joejoe Posts: 8
edited 8:06PM in EggHead Forum
I bought a green egg yesterday and cooked rib-eye as my first meal. The steaks cooked very well, but I got a very strange taste, almost like burning plastic. I used the Green Egg lump charcoal and lit the coals with the green egg fire starter.

Does the grill need to be seasoned, before you use it? If not, any ideas why the strange taste.

Comments

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    don't put the food on wright away, you need to wait for the fire to burn clear, if it smells good, it'll taste good.

maybe fifteen twenty minutes after you light it, it will be good to go
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,271
    Two cannibals, eating a clown: "Does this taste funny to you?" :woohoo: :silly:

Seriously though, Stike is right. Make sure your smoke is mostly clear, not thick white or dark.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • joejoe Posts: 8
    It must have been the polyester in the clown's wig. i will remove it next time.

seriously, I will wait 20 to 30 minutes next time.
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Your starter cube alone will bring the dome temp to 350, so you need to let them burn out completely before you add your food. -RP
    I think that could have been it.
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Don't hit your back button and you won't get the multiple posts. And welcome to the forum! -RP
    Many lessons learned today!!
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    which is essentially putting the food on too early, which is what i tried to say....

gah.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Break your starter cube in fourths and place around and then start. Wait 20 mins or so, so only clear or blue/clear smoke and you are ready.
  • You don't have to wait that long the second night you use the same charcoal. It comes clean about as soon as it gets to temperature.

Doug