Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Refrigerator Broke

Options
DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Temperatures in my freezer rose to 50 degrees when my fridge broke, and stuff thawed out. I will discard all meats for sure, but my question is should I get rid of stuff like pesto, chicken, beef and vegitable stock. The stocks have animal fats in them, so I'm ready to chuck them if necessary, but what about my store of pestos?...They're a labor of love!..and is it ok to re-freeze veggies?

Thanks to all who care to comment.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,

That just happened to me with the stand up freezer. If it just happened you could re-boil the stocks but it might still be dicey.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    This happened to my Uncle last year and I had my thermapen with me, we checked each package regardless of what is was and made a judgment call on each. Many were thawed but around 36* or so, those we kept, put them in another freezer as they had an extra fridge in the garage, we ate the stuff and no one got sick so I guess we were lucky to find it as soon as we did.

Some things we did throw out if we were in doubt. I'm sure many might say to throw it all out but I feel it depends on how long the freezer was out before you discovered it. It has to take a

few hours at least for things to thaw.

Good Luck,

Bordello
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I'm going to call it a disaster. Best I can figure, it was down for about 48 hours. We did put some stuff in the garage freezer before it thawed, but the rest got to room temperature for at least 12 hours or so. Just hoping I can re-freeze the pesto and veggies.

Thanks
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Great idea. Not sure I'll chance it. I guess I can make more stock any time. I was building up my collection of pesto for this winter, though, when I can't get fresh herbs. Guess I'd better get started harvesting as much basil as I can get out of my plants for this year.

Thanks
  • Little Steven
    Options
    What do you put in pesto that would be a problem? I leave mine in the fridge for weeks between batches. The only thing I do a bit different from the norm is use roasted garlic.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bordello
    Options
    That's a long time, I would chuck it too.
    Sorry, I dont know a thing about pesto. I wouldn't want anyone to get sick so maybe best to make some more if ya got the makings.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Options
    My Italian Aunt also makes her pesto but she does not put any garlic in as she prefers to add it when cooking.

That way if she is doing something and wants less she is not stuck, ya can always add more. That's just her take on it.

If you roast garlic in the egg does in leave a garlic odor on your next cook???

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Essex County
    Options
    Not at all. Well, maybe if you put your nose on the inside of the dome and inhaled really hard... I've done it lots of times and can't detect any lingering aroma. If aromas lingered inside the egg, think of what it would smell like!
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I'm sort of a pesto freek, I guess. I have a couple different recipes, but they're pretty much the same thing. I use basil and pine nuts; dill and pestachios, and basil and almonds. Then all have the same rest of the ingredients...garlic (bet the roasted garlic is the bomb. I'll try it), reggiano parmegiano and EVOO.

My food processor only makes about 6 oz per batch, so I freeze it in small containers and stack them in the freezer. My recipes only call for about 2 or 3 Tbsp. per batch. I usually don't even thaw it. I just scrape off what I need, then put it back in the freezer right away.

I've typically only kept fresh pesto in the referigerator for 4 or 5 days after it was made, but freeze it for up to 6 to 8 months.

Not really sure what goes bad first...maybe the cheese? I've never thrown any away...YET.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Oh yes. I forgot...

I don't put garlic in the dill/pistachio pesto. I found it kinda "fights" with the dill. Not sure there are any rules though. Bet I could learn from your Italian Aunt!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Bob,

No odour at all. I just cut a bit of the root end off, drizzle with olive oil and sea salt, replace the cut off bit and wrap loosely in HDAF.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,

I wouldn't see any reason to toss it or the vegetables.
    Funny about the frozen pesto, my mom used to freeze it in ice cube trays and pop out one or two at a time.
    The roasted garlic is good. I don't typically cook pesto very much and the roasted stuff is a little sweeter when I use it as a dressing or comdiment.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bordello
    Options
    :( That's what I was wondering. I would like to do some for friends but I hardly use it unless it's in something like BBQ sauce, salsa,etc.

Appreciate the input,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Options
    LOL
    Maybe yes maybe no, she is very set in her ways and cooks fairly simple meals being as they did not have a lot growing up. H

Her folks had their own chicken coop and when the chickens stopped laying eggs they became dinner.

Hope all works out for ya,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Options
    I'm going to have to give this a try for my friends, something they don't do but will probably love.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Bob,

If you really want to impress, try roasting a couple of heads of garlic, melt some goat cheese over low heat, put in some sundried tomatoes sliced thin (from jars in oil), chopped fresh basil and Italian flat leaf parsley, and toasted pine nuts. Slice some baguette thin brush on some olive oil and toast it on the egg.
    Keep the goat cheese warm til you get where your going :evil: and pour the sauce over the roasted garlic. Give your guests lobster forks, have them pick out the garlic and put it on the baguette slices. Spoon some of the goat cheese over and eat. Sweet thing is your guests will smell of garlic and hang with you longer. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON