Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Myron Mixon Wagyu brisket

Options
Coach Danny
Coach Danny Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to a great class this past Sunday taught by Myron Mixon (Jack's Old South) at BGE headquarters in Tucker, GA. He cooked some wonderful ribs, pork butt, and chicken. While he didn't cook any brisket, he did spend some time during the downtime talking to us about cooking brisket on the competitive BBQ circuit. He said after much experimentation, he now uses only Wagyu beef briskets (Snake River Farms was one of the purveyors). I've checked out their website and they go for around 60 bucks, plus shipping. I've always bought the full packers at Restaurant Depot that go for around $2 a pound and have been pretty happy with them.

Anyway, my questions for all you eggheads out there is has anyone tried the Wagyu briskets; and, if so, could you actually tell a difference? I'm wondering if this is all just psychological.

Danny

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Great post and question!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Just a thought,wonder what they pay him to say that at the classes??? :unsure: :huh: I my be all wrong but.... just wonderin :whistle:
  • Coach Danny
    Options
    Not sure. It sounds like he buys a lot of his briskets now from the local Sysco foods distributor which I guess carries that particular line of Wagyu. Class was a real eye opener in many ways. Had some amazing pork butt that he injected at 10 am, put on the egg at 11 am, and we were eating it by 3 pm! It was quite amazing.
  • Hoss
    Options
    WOW!That is amazing,it was'nt half cooked when he injected it was it?I've heard of injecting in the plateau.But 4 hour edible pork but is a new one on me. :whistle:
  • Coach Danny
    Options
    The class ran from 10-4. At 10 they were injecting the pork butts. And he wasn't playing around when it came to injecting the meat. The butts increased in size by at least 50 percet! Of course, I was thinking what are we going to eat today because we sure as hell aren't eating that. Well, after 2.5 hours at 350, he pulled them off, wrapped them with foil and apple juice. 1.5 hours later he pulled them off when they were 195-205 internal. We were eating them 30-45 minutes later. Now, he did say that they should have set for at least an hour more but still, the last butt I did took 16 hours! It was hard to believe, but I couldn't argue with the taste.
  • Coach Danny
    Options
    Oh, sorry I didn't address your question. No, he unwrapped them after taking them out of the cooler at 10 am. Normally he said he would have let the butts sit for 2-4 hours after injecting them with the marinade but he didn't have time because of the class schedule.
  • Hoss
    Options
    Very,VERY interesting.I wish I could attend that class,WOW!I never heard of anything like that,but I do believe what you say,I would love to see it!
  • GB Packers Fan
    Options
    Danny, did Myron share his technics on paper, website or something with the specifics of his cooks? I would love to have them.
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    Myron did a great job in the time he had. If you remember he said at one time that this is what he does for a living. He also said that he felt many folks there knew more about the Egg than him. He developed the fast cook method so they can cook and get some rest also while on the road. They sometimes do two contest in one weekend. It took Bobby some planning to work the class in into Myron's schelude. Sunday is usually a travel or rest day for Jack's Old South.

We have not cooked the Wagyu brisket but have ate it and yes there was a taste difference. We have been cooking Black Angus Beef and had great success but do plan to try a Wagyu when we get back cooking.

We have taken Myron's three day class and watching him prep, cook, and serve a whole hog is a show in itsself. We have also cooked with him and what he did in class is real close to what he does on the road.

I do believe Bobby will do his best to bring the class back again along with the other classes he has been doing providing a lot of Egg info. He, Charlie, and Tom have also had a great year on the cooking circuit along with all the other programs he plans and puts together.

Good Egging to You,
    Poppasam
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    I cooked with Wagyu briskets all last year. What I will say is when injected, mine seemed to cook much faster. I didnt see enough of a difference to spend the money on them again this year. A well cooked brisket still taste very good.

kickassbbq.com has a couple methods for hot and fast cooking for brisket and pork.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    The reality is that wagyu meat has limited availability and that is one of the reasons for the reccomendation. He also mentioned getting wagyu at sysco and chicken at publix (not mentioned by Danny in his post). I doubt they pay for name dropping. For that matter, I doubt they have locations in Vienna, GA where Myron is from.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Here you go hoss, you can go to the next one at his home!

http://www.jacksoldsouth.com/jacksoldsouthcookingschool.html
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    He did not share anything on paper.
  • Poppasam
    Options
    Gene , Mryon actually lives in Unadilla and they don't have Wally World Or Publix there but keep in mind like you they are in the road all the time. By the way Tom got the pasteries at a bakery on the way in. They were mighty good.

Sam
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I missed it by 13 miles :laugh: . I have Vienna on the brain. I guess I just laughed that when someone drops a name someone else thinks they are paid for the drop.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Hey that is near Vidalia, GA....lol
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Vidalia :ermm: , never heard of it
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Danny, there is a reason why there was a charge for the class.Myron gets paid big money to allow people access to his cooking methods for competitions. Generally speaking a 3 days class at his place goes for $750. You got a steal of a deal at $80. Remember loose lips sink ships :)
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Thanks for thinking that, but Myron is not sponsored by them at all.

He pays the same price that you would pay for the brisket. He has no sponsors for anything.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Even before Bobby cleared that up I doubted it was a sales ploy. When he said wagyu he kept moving on like he assumed everyone knew the term. It wasn't until someone asked him to spell it a few minutes later that it came into discussion. The same when he talked about using "reserve" pork butts. You can get those from different sources and makers.
    On the other hand he had no problem bringing up when one of the tools he was using was available on his website. LOL. But he did it in such a lighthearted manner it never came off as a sales pitch.
    Thanks again Bobby. It was well worth the trip down from St Louis.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I haven't tried the brisket, but my butcher sells a cut they call ugly steak which is flap meat. They offer it in Wagyu and it is $17 a lb vs $5 a lb for choice. I get the Wagyu and its worth it. -RP
  • Hoss
    Options
    Let me know if he has one close to Memphis,I think it would be very interesting.He's gotta be doin something right! :)
  • Hoss
    Options
    That's cool!I would love to see one of his classes.Apparantly he know's what he's doin. don't mean anything against anybody,it just these day's seems like a lotta folks are plugging stuff for money and sometimes that can distort things. :)
  • Poppasam
    Options
    He does all his three day classes at his home in Unidilla Ga. now, Bobby worked hard to get the one day class set up at the Egg store. Myron will do a private class but does not do that often. Sundays class had someone that flew in to Atlanta for the day to take the class. I believe that they had someone fly in from Japan once to take his three day class. The time we took it there were folks from all over the United States.

Hope it works out for you,
    Poppasam
  • Hoss
    Options
    WOW!Like I said,He must be something right! :)
  • CBBQ
    Options
    Myron was very good. I was the one that flew to Atlanta from St Louis and it was well worth the trip. I took a 2 day course with BBQ Legend Mike Mills earlier this year and it's amazing the differences in the two styles.
    Without giving away any info that people paid money to get I can only say that Mike believes in the low & slow. He never put rub on his butts and cooked frozen meat that came out exactly the same time as the fresh.
    Myron uses heavy rub and cooks in the 350-400 degree range. Obviously neither one of them is wrong.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    You are quite welcome and it was a pleasure having you there..

I was actually shocked by a few of the things that he revealed in that class. I have taken his 3 day class in the past, I have cooked with Dobie for Myron in the Douglas GA contest at least twice, We have cooked aginst him at many contests, and Charlie and I were his night men at the World Championship in Memphis, so I pretty much know what Myron does and what he uses. There was at least one thing he showed that was incredibly close to the one thing I never thought he would show.

Honestly, I think he showed all the over the top stuff because you had flown in special for his class. Myron was truly taken back by your effort.
  • CBBQ
    Options
    Even though I am someone who is in the bbq business I always strive to get better. To do that I always assume I can learn more. So when I get the chance to be around great cookers of the business I try to jump at the chance to learn from them. Myron is a legend in this industry just like Mike Mills who I spent 2 days with in April. They couldn't cook much more differently if they tried. I also enjoyed spending time with your staff and cooking team. It was a great group.

Do you have an email address for Myron you could send me so I can thank him?
    Thanks again,
    Bill
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    His card lists jacksoldsouth@yahoo.com as the email address
  • CBBQ
    Options
    You think he answers that one himself?