Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Internal Temp for Pork Loin

Options
porterhouse64
porterhouse64 Posts: 164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
145 or 160?

I keep seeing both.

Comments

• Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    Options
    145....At 160 your pork loin will be dry. I pulled mine yesterday at 142 and it was perfect.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Pork should be slightly pink in color to be perfect. 145 is well done. Pull at 130-135 and rest. Don't worry, there is no such thing as trichinosis in commercial port anymore and hasn't been for 30 years. I actually pull at 125 and it melts in your mouth.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    pull it off at 135. will cruise to 140 or so.

this is not your great grandmother's pork. not a case of trichinosis from american USDA approved pork in decades. therefore, it's a food safety issue with regard to bacteria. everything's basically toast at 140, and right around that temp you'll still have a tinge of pink and a whole lot of moisture
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • PhilsGrill
    Options
    Glad you agree. Here is an article Chefs vs. USDA. Pretty good if you look at these temps.

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/meat_temperature_guide.html
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    What's nice about roasts -- you really don't have to time them.

I pull pork loin @ 140F, double wrap in HD foil, and stash in the coller, with old towels around 'em. They'll hold for hours while guests are arriving, or while you're out golfing -- whatever.

Serve when you're ready -- Not to worry about the meat! It'll wait!

~ B
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if you read the USDA's own literature, you'll see there's a lot of telling information. for example, there is no such thing as a universal "40-140 for four hours" rule, but you'll hear it quoted up and down here. and anyone that steps outside that often gets smacked on the head and told to get back in line. hahaha

the USDA is careful to explain what tests they do, how they arrive at the numbers, and they makemention of margin of error for the cook, the thermometer, the oven, etc. etc.

they are overly conservative...

you know me though, there isn't anything in this world i take on face value or on someone's word. i dig until i get an answer that shuts me up (and i never shut up). hahaha

you and i are perhaps destined to die of food poisoning for eating pork at 135, 140. hahaha

i highly doubt it though.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • PhilsGrill
    Options
    Ha, yeah... tell ya what, pull your next one at 125 and let me know. You'll be even more of a convert.