Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My ETable

Options
slo-ryd
slo-ryd Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
After much deliberation on style and material, I settled on a modified Whiz design.

The table top and shelf are 30" x 60" pre-made edge glued pine panels I found at Menards for $34.22 ea :huh: The rest is pressure treated 2x4 and 4x4's

I'm using 4 12"x12" black granite tile as a base under the 20" paving stone. I coated the pine panels with a Linseed Oil based sealer made by Olympic.

I enlisted the help of my 72 yr old father (which got him back in his wood shop after a 15 year absents)one of my brothers and both of my sons. I enjoyed every minute of the fellowship during this build and it will be something we all remember for years to come.

Here she is!

etpic1.JPG
etpic2.JPG
etpic3.JPG
etpic4.JPG
etpic5.JPG
etpic6.JPG
LBGE w/modified Whiz table, Webers and such.

Comments

• EgginRN
    EgginRN Posts: 102
    Options
    Looks great! I would consider using a spar varnish on those pine panels. They tend to delam. in the best of conditions or reapply the linseed oil finish every few months. Nice :)
  • slo-ryd
    slo-ryd Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!

After using it a couple of times, it makes me want a more resistant finish on them for sure.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Great table and even better story.
    Thanks for sharing.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • EggheadOwl
    Options
    Ahhh, I thought it was a horrible table...until you showed us the FOOD! :) Now it looks GREAT!
    :woohoo:

Just kidding ya - that is one nice set-up you have there! I really like those larger tables like that. The light is a nice touch too! No need to blind everyone sitting out on the deck, to check the grill.
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Great looking table, so glad the family helped. Cherish the memory working with your dad and your sons. Food looks good to. Like the table.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • shaw988
    shaw988 Posts: 41
    Options
    Nice job. I really like the fact that your memories are those of working with your dad, brother and sons. Nothing is more precious.
    Can't wait to see some of your recipies come to life
    XL and Mini Max. Lawrenceville, GA
  • slo-ryd
    Options
    TheCannonballbear wrote:
    Looks great! I would consider using a spar varnish on those pine panels. They tend to delam. in the best of conditions or reapply the linseed oil finish every few months. Nice :)

As helpfully recommended, my spar varnish application is in full swing. I'll post some pics when she's done!

Also, NEVER SHAKE VARNISH! It puts air bubbles in the varnish that make for a rough finish. It's in really small print on the can :whistle: