Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My medium BGE doesn't get hot enough

Options
Mary Queen of Kitchen Gadgets
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cannot seem to get my medium hotter than about 420F when I have a platesetter in place. For pizza I would like to get it a bit hotter. Am I doing something wrong? I use BGE charcoal and one of those little fire starter squares. I leave the egg opened till some of the coals are getting white on the edges (5 to 10 mins), then I put on the platesetter and pizza stone and close the lid with the bottom and top vents all the way opened. I put the thermapen in the hole to test the temp and the highest I have been able to get it is less than 430 but starts dropping as soon as I even slightly close the top.

I have had no luck with pizza so far. The bottom burns by the time the top is done enough.

Comments

• NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    I dare say it is not a MBGE issue, as in my learning experience it's a matter of fuel and air flow. Once I started making sure the fire grate and box holes were free/open and used a wiggle stick to make sure there was a path for the air to get to the fuel and the ashes weren't blockng air flow then the fire and temp took care of itself.

There are great many posts put up by the eggsperts for your review.
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    Just to rule it out make sure your dome themometer is calibrated. Get a cup of water to boiling and stick the thermometer in. If it isn't reading 212*F adjust it using the bolt on the back.

Aside from that you should have no issues. How full are you filling it? IF I really load my Medium then I don't get the airflow to ger to 700*F but I only do this for things like pork butts when I want
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Take the daisy top completely off. Then give it time. It will get there.

As for burning the bottom of the pizza, are you using a spacer between the platesetter and pizza stone?

This is the setup I like to use.

AlmostDone121708.jpg
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Mary, as others have said air flow is important, check the dome thermometer as recommended.
    I have a medium and have had trouble in NC getting higher temps, turned out to be lump that was damp. I keep it in a work shop that until last June had some roof leaks and the lump picked up moisture.
    When I bought new lump all was fine.
    I have also had problems with burning the bottom before the top is done. Now I put the dough on and lightly brown one side, pull it and flip it over and sauce and top the browned side and put it back on and that works great for me. I also have a little wire rack that keeps the pizza screen ¼ inch above the stone.
    Some people use an air bake pizza pan.
    One time after the bottom was done I put it in the oven under the broiler to brown the cheese and that worked well.
    Keep trying and you will find what works for you.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Be sure all holes are un-plugged, and that the bottom vent lines right up with the opening in the fire box. Fill with fresh lump to top of fire box, avoiding lots small pieces which will slow the air flow.

Light as you will, and close the dome. Remove daisy wheel, and slide bottom wide open. Wait till the dome reaches 450 before putting the platesetter on. The temp will drop, perhaps dramatically. Yesterday, mine fell from 475 to 300 after putting the setter on.

Don't be surprised if it takes longer than 30 minutes to exceed your initial high.

FWIW, I found a pizzaria last year that has a wood fired stone oven. Even w. the stone at 900 degrees, and the air at 1400, they make pies that have pretty thin toppings. Their thickest is about as thick as a commercial medium. After enjoying their pies, I have really reduced the toppings on mine, and have had much better results.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Open the bottom vent all the way and take the metal top all the way off and let her rip. You still have another 200° to go. When it gets really going 600°+ resist the urge to get down close and look through the top vent hole, you will burn your eyebrows off! :woohoo:

(Eggers need a new emoticon with that wideyed look of suprise and no eyebrows!) :laugh:
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    You are using charcoal lump and not briquettes? If your using lump, make sure you put plenty in and then allow 1/2 hour minimum to warm up. The platesetter will absorb a lot of heat so you need to give it time.
  • Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I have calibrated the thermometer but the one that came with the egg is pretty much garbage...there was moisture inside after the first day outside. Although the temp is pretty true, I don't trust it and always verify with the thermapen by putting it in the hole instead. I just leave the clamp off so I can remove the stock one easily. I think I will take the advice of letting the egg fire up without the metal top on at all and then put the platesetter in after it gets good an hot. And I do need to do a serious cleaning of the firebox before I use it again. I think some of the little chucks of charcoal might be falling to the bottom. I don't use briquettes. I always thought that was like the ultimate egg crime.
    I thought about putting the pizza crust on and then turning it before adding the toppings but wasn't sure how it would work. Glad to know it does.
    I really appreciate all the info. Us newbies really benefit from the feedback. What would we do without the internet, huh?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Mary,

The platesetter should be in while the egg is getting to temp. For that matter, everything but the food, should be in while heating up.
  • OK. I will take your advice...not about petting the sweaty things but about the platesetter. I figure a platinum egger's advise should be heeded. Thanks.
  • Hey Fidel,
    What is that thing you have in between the platesetter and the pizza stone? It looks promising for keeping the bottom of the crust from burning.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    I just have a big keyboard (mouth). But it is the way to go.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Those are the eggs three green feet. Some don't use them if mounted in a table or nest but they work great for a spacer. You always want an air gap between the plate setter and the stone.
  • Smokin Squires
    Options
    try an air gap between the plate setter and the pizza stone. lowers heat transfer imho
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Many dealers will just give you another set if you ask them. If not they sell for like 8 bucks.
  • Mine came assembled on the nest so I didn't get any feet but I will go to the local dealer and see if they can get me some. Good idea. Thanks.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    The green feet are always included in the price (except the XL), so you already paid for them. Go get them.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Mary,

One of the most important posts in here is Fidel's. Carefully look at his picture.

If you use one fire starter to light it will take forever if ever to get a burn like what is showing in his picture.

If you are going to use starter cubes, break them in half. High temperature cooks with a lot of ceramics in the egg are going to need fuel so load the lump to about the height of the fire box.

Place 1/2 size cubes about 2" away from the edge of fire box or fire ring (depending how full you load the lump) at 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock and center. Put the 1/2 cubes down into the lump about 3/4 to 1 inch. Make sure all the cubes are burning well and close the dome. DFMT off and bottom vent wide open - do not leave the egg alone.

You will see the dome temp spike high, which is a result of the flame on the cubes, then it will fall fairly quickly. Mine will fall to the low two hundreds. You will see a climb, when the climb becomes very fast the lump itslef is flaming and the flame licking up into the egg is what is causing the fast spike again.

When the second climb is ramping up put in the plate setter spacer (you can go to lowes, home depot or hardware store and pick up some 1/2" or 3/4" El's 90° bends. and use those for spacers under the pizza stone.

The bottom of the pizza gets done (burned) quicker than the top due to several reasons. Egg not stabilized, not enough heat coming down to the top of the pizza, or height of the pizza in the egg, again not enough heat commnig down to the top of the pizza.

Lowering the heat from the bottom can help equalize top and bottom heat. So don't be so concerned about cooking pizza at 900° or 600° for that matter. You just need somewhat equal heat.

I usually get good results with the dome about 500° about the same lump level and burn as Fidel's picture.
    My pizza stone will read about 650° at that point.

I do have my DFMT top on slider 3/4 open and petals wide open. Bottom vent about 1 to 2 inches open.

Heat = fuel + air. If you egg is not getting high temperatures then get and use a wiggle rod from the bottom vent. You need better air flow into the lump.

No, the ash does not have to be completely cleaned out for a good hot burn. No you don't need all new lump, or your egg full of lump for a good hot burn. With that said, having a clean egg, new lump doesn't hurt either.

Lump powder usually doesn't hurt nor does ash, small pieces of lump in the fire grate or large pieces covering the air holes is what the problem usually is.

GG
  • I have just been using a single fire starter cube in the center. Sounds like that could be one of my problems...that and little pieces of lump clogging the holes. What would you use in place of the fire starter cubes? The BGE dealer also sold an electric thinggy to start a fire but my egg is too far from an outlet. I have thought about a chimmney starter. Would you recommend that or another method? My box of starter cubes is running out so I will need to buy more or come up with an alternative soon anyway.