Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked trout

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Iam interested in smoking trout as I have purchased in stores. I have smoked trout at 300 degrees for 45 minutes and it has been great. However, I would like it to be drier as they sell it more like jerky. Suggestions?[p]Thanks, keith.

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    keith,[p]I don't rightly know how to get that drier texture you're after. Mostly I smoke trout and salmon over a water pan, indirect, wanting smokiness as well as tender flakiness. Seems to me if you used a very small fire, and worked direct at as low a temperature as possible, you might accomplish your aim.[p]Ken
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Isn't that dryness created by curing and cold smoking (<200°) for a long period, Ken?[p]Jim
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Jim,[p]It's "jerky" that has me concerned. I'm used to curing a week or so, and steady smoke for 4 to 6 hours at about 150°, but even then I end up with something closer to lox than to jerky. Definitely something you can't eat by hand.[p]I'm not a jerky maker so this is "top of my head" stuff. Wonder what would happen if I took my "finished fish" and subjected it to some time in the dehydrator - might work.[p](Tell you what though, if I had me some trout, I'd smear the cavities with apple jelly, put a sprig of rosemary and a sprig of mint in each, and smoke 'em over apple around 225° just till the meat got flakey. After I moved and didn't tell you where. LOL)[p]Ken[p]
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    trout1.jpg
    <p />keith,[p]I think I know what you are after. The photo is some finished product and the link is the recipe. Almost the same recipe and some great advice on smoking fish can be found at www.3men.com. Good luck, smoked trout is awesome.[p]Chuck

[ul][li]Smoked Trout[/ul]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]When we were in Colorado camping, one of the guys who liked to fish went down to the little ponds that were everywhere and did some fishing every day...we had trout for breakfast most every morning...Mmmmm! At the time, it was pan-fried with flour and cornmeal, but next time, I'm thinking we find a BGE dealer there and pick up a mini and then we could egg that trout properly and when the trip was over ship the mini home with the camping gear....![p]Tonia
    :~)

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    keith,
    I smoke trout frequently and love the flavor off our eggs. I usually go with 250° for an hour and use plenty of alder wood. For a drier texture, try skinning the fish before putting on the smoker. And as has been suggested, you could lower the temp to around 200° and go for a longer cook time. I have never found a need to use a water pan with trout - I smoke mine direct.