Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Halloween Treats on the Egg

stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last year I did KitKat bars for the neighborhood kids. I brought the Egg around front, to the side of the walkway, near the front door, and smoked them at 200 dome, indirect, over hickory. They were a big hit, some of the adults came back for seconds.[p]I did them on a raised grid over a tinfoil pizza pan, just in case any chocolate melted off. What I did was freeze them in advance, and let them go for about 20 minutes. Very little chocolate melted off, and rather than disturb them with a spatula, I'd pull off the raised grid and let them cool, putting another grid full on while the freshly smoked ones came down to temp. I can tell you, it was hard letting them cool down. Kids'd reach for them right off the BGE, but you really should allow the chocolate to set back up.[p]Last week, after doing some ribs, I had the egg at 200, and so did a test run of some candy for this year. The Charleston Chews worked best, and so the wife went to Costco and got 7 bags at 2 pounds apiece for this weekend. Again, straight from the freezer. Did a few with dizzy pig rub, but that was just stupid. A failure. I will just do them au naturel.[p]Maybe I can save you some time. These are they other candies we tried, with mixed results.[p]M&Ms; a failure. out of the bag, they fell through the grid, in the bag, they absorbed no smoke, tho the bag got nice and blackened.[p]twizzlers; great for the grid, the hickory a bit off-putting against the synthetic cherry/strawberry/red flavor of the candy. These may work best direct, no additional smoke. no time to test them that way yet.[p]candy corn; great seasonal appeal, but see results for "M&M's", above. [p]Reeses Peanut Butter cups; ate them all, never hit the grill.[p]100,000 dollar bars; this is the one you save for yourself, a special occasion. did them for our anniversary, some kosher salt, cracked pepper. man o man. do these (frozen) at 750 on a RAISED grid, for 3 seconds a side. pull them off and BACK INTO THE FREEZER while the egg comes down to 200. put them back on, indirect, to about 85 degrees internal (I go by 'feel', but used a polder the first few times afore I got the hang of it).[p]anyway, the versatility of this egg is amazing. I can remember doing candy just a few short years ago on the gasser, and MAN, what a diff the egg makes.
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    That is too funny!! LOL!! Doesn't measure up to the Stump, but it's close![p]Frosty Ones,
    Jim

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    stike,
    Freakin hillarious! Happy halloweenie.
    Seth

• stike
    JSlot,
    Stump is a bit more 'Faulkner', what with the use of southern dialect and symbolism. Very regional, and yet, universal.[p]I'm going for more of a satirical feel. Wherein the otherwise universal naivete of the child is presented directly translated into the ostensibly adult individual. ...laying bare the supposition that perhaps that proto-adult in each of us never truly is suppressed, or supplanted by a fully-formed, perfected 'other'.[p]I present the 'dope' as the protagonist, hopefully in a manner which illuminates for each of us the dope within, in spite of our otherwise rational attempts to triumph over same. 'proto' presented as 'ultima', revealing perhaps 'ultima' as 'proto'.[p]plus, i like candy.

• JSlot
    Very eloquent explanation of your rationale!!! Oh well, being the proto-adult I am, I HAVE been known to put Tony C's Cajun Seasoning on my ice cream! Or was that porto-adult? Hyphens are so confusing.[p]Jim
  • stike
    JSlot,
    we are all kids at heart, i think.[p]half the reason i bought the egg was so i could light fires a few times a week and stare at them for a good long while without making anyone nervous.[p]the older i get, the less grown up i am[p]

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    stike,[p]Geez, and here I was waiting to find out how to spatchcock a marshmallow Peep... [p]Ken
  • stike
    BlueSmoke,
    hey man, what you do on your own time is fine with me.[p]

• JSlot
    Did you know that the JustBorn Company makes over 100,000,000 peeps a year?!! Gives a whole new meaning to the lyric ......"closer than my peeps you are to me".......[p]Frosty Ones,
    Jim

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    BlueSmoke,
    ...or sitting it on a teeny, tiny little beer can....there are some GREAT photo ops here.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    stike,[p]Those two posts of yours, read back to back, were about the most entertaining I've seen on this board............. didn't quite catch all of your intent on the second but a crackup nonetheless. :~)[p]I prefer Baby Ruth's with a hint of pecan.[p]John

• BlueSmoke
    WooDoggies,[p]Wait'll you try a beer butt Moon Pie. (Made with a peeber? to die for...)[p]Ken
  • wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    stike,
    Hands down, the best thread I've seen here in a long time! It is also one the most original ideas I've seen on the forum. While coming from an engineering background, I do take a certain pride in my literary, historical and culinary education (both, formal and practical). [p]However, I do at times, especially when drawn out of my comfort zone, seek solace in my pragmatic world of engineering rationalism and its attendant gullibilities.[p]Said another way...yeah, I get the jokes about the small things falling into the glowing abyss...but do you actually smoke candy bars (yeah, yeah, I know they are hard to keep lit)? I'm absolutely intrigued by the concept, and in my mind's culinary eye, smoked chocolate seems very appealing. Besides the little ones ringing the doorbell, what kind of adult beverages might go well with such fare?

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    BlueSmoke,[p]Brushed with a reduced RC Cola glaze?

• BlueSmoke,
    Well, I don't think that they cover how to butterfly them out but this website does include a bit of information concerning those lovable peeps and how they react to certain elements...[p]Beers
    Matt.

[ul][li]Peeps research[/ul]
  • stike
    WDAN,
    meso-american indigenous cultures made a spiced drink of ground cacao.[p]during the drying of the cacao shells/nuts, the smoke from the fire often lent its flavor to the cacao, sorta like the smoke from peat used to dry barley will flavor whiskey.[p]so smokey chocolate is nuthin new.[p]you'll have better luck if you use semi-sweet or dark chocolates, which are less sweet and have much more cocoa liquer in them (up to 90% for really dark chocolate).[p]alas, i have NOT smoked or grilled halloween treats for the neighborhood kids, as much as i tried to make you all seem that i just mighta...[p]now let me tell you about the time i did pancakes directly on the grill, at 375, with coffee bean smoke...

• BlueSmoke
    stike,[p]Purely in the interest of science... butterflying a Peep is more difficult than might be assumed. Fresh ones are nearly impossible to cut with a knife, and gummed up the poultry shears something fierce. Once butterflied, however, the rub adheres very well to the interior (alas, not the exterior - brining might be called for.)[p]Mature Peeps (as I prefer to call them, bought at after-Easter sales, 2003, and aged in cellophane) can only be cut with a serrated blade. They do not take rub at all, and in fact cannot be submerged in marinade.[p]Ken
  • stike
    BlueSmoke,
    guy.
    whatcha goota do, see, is freeze the peeps and cut with a serrated breadknife rubbed with olive oil.[p]contray to the typical method of spatchcocking, you should put the skin side DOWN for the whole cook, or the tender white innards will spill thru the grill.[p]i like to work a bit of olive oil and some spices (brown sugar, crushed rock candy, cracked pez, craked pepper and kosher salt) under the skin as well.[p]and frankly, the nature of the ceramic cooker issuch that brining is not required.[p]if you can get a nice 4 to 6 pound peep, that is ideal, but they are more like quail-sized usually, and so you need to allow at least 6 per person