Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Planked Potatoes - 4th attempt

Options
Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to try the cedar planked potatoes. Here is the recipe that I am following:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=465654&catid=1

I will say I was unsuccessfull on all three of my previous attempts. I know - I know, how can a guy screw up mashed potatoes. Well, here is my explanation:

Attempt #1 -

I followed the recipe to a "T." They browned up nice and everything looked good except when we started to eat them they were cold on the insides. FIX - next time check the temp to make sure.

Attempt #2 -

I must confess, I was a little into the sauce when I made this batch. I really didn't measure and I used mikl instead of the whipping cream. My wife wanted me to peel the potatoes this time as well. The result was that my lump of potatoes ran all over grill. What I was able to salvage tasted great, but I lost 2/3 of my potaotes.

Attempt #3 -

Back to the basics - I followed the recipe just as outlined. However, the recipe is a little vague on peeling or not peeling. So, to make the wife happy I peeled the pototoes. Again, they ran a little on me, and I lost about 1/3 of the meal. Tasted great though:

So I have come to the following two conclusions/questions:

1) Are the skins of the potatoes necessary to hold them together?

2) Is it possible that my "lump" of potatoes is too big for on plank?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments