Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts on at 10:30 pm

Options
llrickman
llrickman Posts: 654
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Its now 1:20 am they are 7lb butts and my maverick shows the temp at 135.Does it sound like this is rising to fast . Dome is at 240-245

could i have the probe in a bad spot or am i being paranoid this being my first overnight cook?
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• PA Dutch Egger
    Options
    don't forget you have not gotten to the plateau stage yet. You have time and should be ok
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You're being paranoid. The temp rises pretty fast to 150-160, usually in 4-5 hours it will hit those temps, sometimes even quicker.

The last 40 degrees of the cook is what takes so long. Have faith, stay the course, and you'll be fine.
  • bcrawfo2
    bcrawfo2 Posts: 85
    Options
    Here is a 7 pound butt cooked at 250 dome I did last night.
    Maybe it'll help someone in the future. I know every butt is different, but it's something.
    food3.png
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    a 7 lb butt should not take more than 7 hrs from my experience.
    Good Luck.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Ive got two on been on for about 12 1/2 hrs and is at 192 degrees.

I'm gonna run to target then home n pull em

My temp did drop a little overnight from 240 or so to around 210 but i opened it up a little and have the temp rising a tad

Guess we will know in a little while how they came out. I haven't opened the egg since last night when i realized i had them on there touching together and separated them a little
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    If your setting at 192 then you will be just fine. If ya got time let it come on up to 200. Not a neccesary but I like to thing the pull even easier the closer to 200 you get. They will be great! No worries.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    7 pounds in 7 hours :huh: You must be cooking higher than 250 dome. I know its possible but I'd guess your cooking at least at 300?