Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reveo vs Food Saver

Options
Drunk at the EGG
Drunk at the EGG Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not sure who else out there has purchased a Reveo. Great idea, bad follow through. I personally have gone through about 6 lids (all sent free to me by the manufacturer). Problems ranging from inner screw lid/screen cracking, lid losing suction and falling off making a HUGE mess, and best of all - not pulling the air out to create the vacuum effect.
I stumbled upon something great today. The Food Saver larger plastic container that came with my package, which gets ALL the air out EVERY time, will fit on the reveo tumbler. Backwards only.
Just a little FYI.
Drunk

[/img]20090814_03.jpg[img size=150][/img]

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    saw a hand-held apparatus manufactured by Ziplock folks at WalMart a few weeks ago...designed to pull a vaccuum in Ziplock baggies...went back to possibly purchase and none there...anyone heard/used it??? B)
  • Reverend BSB
    Options
    I have seen the Ziplock one, but have not tried it. I use one from Reynolds, and it works pretty well. I have gallon and quart sized bags. You can usually get two uses out of the bag before the suction area loses its seal. I use it alot for bagged salad. Open the bag, eat some seal it up in the vacuum bag. Open that, use some more, reseal it. By the time the seal point loses the seal yo have eaten all the salad.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    what store carries the Reynolds? Thanks B)
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I got rid of my reveo a good while back..and have been very happy with the "Culinary Prep" I bought to replace it. I know of a few forum members who own these and seem to be equally as happy with theirs.....It's definately a step up from the reveo..
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Date,

I have an Italian one that is very good called Reber Famiglia. Awesome granite!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• civil eggineer
    Options
    I have and use a Ziploc hand vac system and it works great and is cheap. I personally don't know why anyone would spend more for a vacuum sealer.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Thanks for the comment. Several people have said the zip lock system works well. I haven't been able to find one out there yet.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

My Revo has worked well and the price was good. There are other brands available.

GG
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Drunk at the EGG, my results are the opposite of yours.

I've had better luck than you with the Reveo. The tumbler wouldn't seal after about a year, I ordered a replacement and no problems since. It does a good job. Reminds me, I should give it a try on skirt steak this weekend!

Conversely, my FoodSaver canisters aren't reliable. About half of them never have held a good seal. All I ask of them is to keep my dry goods dry in the pantry, and that seems too much to ask.

I glanced at the Culinary Prep last Eggtoberfest, but it seemed overkill given that I already had the Reveo.

Are you putting the Reveo canister in the dishwasher? The manual has an error-the canister is NOT dishwasher-safe, and must be washed by hand. I also find the Reveo spices overpriced. Check Amazon under my handle for my Reveo review, which likes the product but slams the company's over-marketing.

The FoodSaver also has a marinating dish, but I've never used mine.
  • Highlander
    Options
    I use the Zip Lock and it's works great! No freezer burn or frost build up on either poultry, meat or seafood. KISS principal.