Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plastic Mates vs. Wooden Mates

Options
pattont
pattont Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I really want a table for my egg but it is simply not practical where I live currently. I pull my egg in and out of my apt. because I am afraid someone is going to walk off with my grill like one of my other cheaper ones. It's not a bad neighborhood, but a bunch of college people live behind me and well you know....

Now to my question. I went to my local egg store and asked for the wooden mates and then I saw the plastic ones. I really like the plastic because they would be easier to keep clean, but they are $115 vs. the wooden ones at like $66. I don't understand how the plastic could be more expensive to make than the wooden ones. Anyone seen these cheaper or have any insight as to why they are so much more expensive.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I like the wooden ones. Cheaper and look better. No brainer.
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Options
    I have the wooden ones as the plastic was not offered at my time of purchase. Egg is now going on 3yrs old and I haven't had any issues with the mates. Might be a bit dirty/stained from use, but that just adds a little more personality to him (as if he needed anymore).

Either way you'll be fine and whatever is going to make YOUR eggsperience more enjoyable, DO IT !!
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    I thought about buying some of the thick 3m cutting board material (you can get it in green) and making tables from it by attaching it to where the wood mounts for a buddy of mine. Unique and functional!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The plastic ones give you more real estate and are also solid so there are no cracks through which anything could potentially slip.

The plastic are also easier to clean and maintain.

I used the wooden ones for years before I built my first table was was quite happy with them.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    I like the look of sealed wooden mates. It also makes cleaning them easy. The thought of plastic near high heat? I learned my leason with silicon.. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I vote for the wood as well. After seeing the composite mates I was not as impressed and your large cover apparently will not fit. :)
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    The wooden ones clean up real nice.

IMG_0075-1.jpg
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    The wood ones do fine. Put a coat of finish on them and put them down when not in use.

I REALLY wish they made wooden mates for the small Egg. I'm not wild about $120 or so for the plastic mates.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :) Love my plastic "wings"; got in OKC as early Mother's Day gift (along with MBGE and assorted Eggcessories :whistle: ). The plastic stands up very nicely in our hot/dry/windy weather--and hold a lot of stuff, too. Setting hot items on it not a problem, either. Much better than wood for our needs B)
  • last12know
    Options
    not had the egg long and never tried the plastic mates but on my previous unmentionable grills i've had both wood and plastic. the wood worked best in winter as the plastic had a tendency to get slick when cold and a little snow was involved...was hard to keep anything on them as the slightest bump would send whatever it was sliding rite off... have not had that trouble with the wood slat type shelves...

not worth much but that is my two cents..

:)
  • pattont
    pattont Posts: 39
    Options
    My father has the wooden ones on his, but for whatever reason I like the plastic ones more. I will probably go with the wooden ones for now since that will save me money until I build myself a table.