Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sams/Costco meats, good cuz they're cheap?

Options
mojo
mojo Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ask because I constantly read about how good they are, but I have never gotten either. Both stores are pretty far from my house, and there's an HEB with an excellent meat department literally 5 minutes from here. I know HEB costs more, but it's so convenient for me. I don't have a large meat freezer so I don't store meat very often, I just pick up what I need the day I plan to cook it. So what's the verdict, is it worth the trip?

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Probably not.If you are not a volume buyer I would'nt go to the trouble.The membership fee and the commute would negate your savings. :)
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Costco sells prime grade at less then my local guy sells choice. With that said I still visit my local guy from time to time. His boston butts are fresh but a little bit more per pound.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    We have a Sam's close by and will soon have our own HEB which we have really been looking forward to. They do a good job with meat. Even so, a Costco would also be nice. Our Costco is about 10 miles away and really not worth the expense to become a member just to get meat. Meanwhile, I occasionally run up on some good cuts of meat at our local neighborhood Kroger. Good meat can be had just about anywhere if you keep a good eye open for it.

Spring "Just Up Testing The Waters" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • mojo
    Options
    I've also heard that the ribs from Sams can't be beat, maybe it's something in the way they're packaged that makes them turn out more tender? I've only tried BB's once and even following CWM's recipe to a tee, the meat was pretty tough (ribs bought at HEB ).

At any rate, I guess I'll conclude that if I'm at Sam's for some other reason then I should go ahead and buy the day's meat, but otherwise stick to what I've been doing. Thanks for all y'alls replies.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    I sort of shop Costco for meat as a last resort as the local Giants and Blooms meat departments don't do much for me - wish I could find a local butcher. Aside from the last rib-eye being more fatty that I thought good I've generally been happy with Costso. BTW my local Costco's vege and fruits are a lot better than the local grocery stores. Ten miles doesn't seem to far to go if you'll use the whole facility for grocery shopping - my Costso is about 8 miles or so.

My 2 cents.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Well said.
    Prime is Prime and Choice is Choice.
    Price for whole NY strips in the bag for Prime at 7.99 is what I have seen here on the board sounds cheap but the fat bark on those strips was at least 2.5 inches and that also is 7.99 a pound to feed the birds. Do a check and I would guess the price for just the muscle is close to 16.00 a pound once trimmed so judge your retail price at your local shop that way.
    E
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    Options
    Our Costco is about 2 miles away, and I really like their sirloin and thick pork chop packs. They sell quite a bit, which would lead me to believe it is fresh.

We have Giant Eagle and Krogers too, and I find good selection and quality at both of those as well. I got a really nice brisket at Krogers not long ago.

I don't have a good butcher shop nearby, but when I'm in Cincinnati on business I sometimes pack a cooler as there are several I like there.

Cheers, Erik
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    If you're buying small quantities, HEB or Central Market would be my preference. Their Natural meats, particularly beef, taste better to me. Their prime is excellent. They frequently have Prime on sale. The other nice thing is they can answer questions about particular cuts and they'll custom cut stuff for you.

I have bought butts and ribs at Sam's. They were OK, but not any better than HEB.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    This "Egg" thing makes you do strange things.
    I normally keep a cooler in my car. Some of the best deals you just stumble into. We have two national chain stores on Galveston Island but the price and quality are poor most of the time. One started to sell tri tip.
    Poor shape and cut and tough as nails. This is sad because a good tri tip is hard to beat.
    We have a couple HEB stores north of the Island that I drive by on my way home. I have picked up some prime,boneless ribeyes for $5.99 a pound that were some of the best I have ever seen. A new HEB just opened near my office in Houston and the selection and quality at this store was super. Again had prime boneless ribeyes for $5.99 a pound and some great looking jumbo fresh shrimp on the cheap. Also nice wings for $1.59 a pound. I was with friends and no cooler but I wil catch them on the way home Thursday...
    A good deal is where you find it.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Garnerac
    Garnerac Posts: 134
    Options
    HEB is a great grocery store, maybe the best, but I still think Sams has better deals and better quality meats. Not by a long shot but just more to choose from and good prices.
    If you are in Austin, the one on 35 down south is good and the one out in Sunset Valley is very good.
  • Maynard
    Maynard Posts: 55
    Options
    The best place I have found is Wegman's. Their prices are good, and the meat is great. I pay 99 cents / pound for fresh pork shoulder, never frozen. Is that a good price???, or am I being sucked in by the Wegman's experience. The fresh ribs (St. Louis cut) are $2.99/pound.

I love the quality, though.... very good so far.
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Options
    Always remember, Costco, Sam's, HEB, and Kroger don't grow, nor process the meat. They are nothing more than the outlet. They all have standards that are different when they sell to you and me. Such as grade, yield, and trim. It is up to US to find which is best in our area and make up our own minds. Your question if it is worth the price? Only if you take full advantage of your investment, wine, gas, pharmacy, are just some of the great advantages. Your decission.
    DMo
  • Eublet
    Eublet Posts: 54
    Options
    Sam's membershep fee is only worth it to me if you can use other aspects of the store. As for the meat selection, I've had some good things there, and other not so good things. The same can be said for my local butcher, but he's always the most expensive. I also buy a lot of good things from the Publix grocery store! If I'm doing a big cook however and want to save some money, I go to Sam's.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I like Sams and Costco both, but this is a completely local decision. I have moved several times in the last few years and often there are local guys who can beat the big chains. I am now 200 miles from a Costco which I miss, but there are two local fish markets that are fantastic.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    My Costco is about 9 miles away but if I can go for more the just the meat it is well worth the trip. I get bulk toilet paper, paper towels, 10 lb. bag of frozen wings and of course tooth paste and such.

I also get my tires there. I just try to be sure I need more then the meat along. A very good deal to me for sure.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    You are aware, are you not, that the "B" in HEB is for "Butt?" :woohoo:
  • mojo
    Options
    Oh yes, I am aware!