Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

small or mini

golffergolffer Posts: 144
edited 9:10PM in EggHead Forum
I do 75% of my cooking for just the whife and I. I have a large and am thinking about purchasing either a small or mini. Also any ideas on what the costs should be?

Comments

• RRPRRP Posts: 21,673
    probably 90% of my cooking is just for 2 of us as well, but of my four eggs my small is my go to egg! The mini is nice but really small with its 9" grate, but the small with its 13" is much more versatile.
    L, M, S, &  Mini
    And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Most of the responses will recommend the small.

Just the two of us here too. It is pretty hard to eat large steaks and large portions of food.

Since getting my mini over a year ago, I have only used the small 3 or 4 times. My 'go to' is the mini. If I need more space I will use the medium or put a small amount of lump in the large and use it.

It took me a long time and several trips looking at the mini before deciding to buy it. It just looked too small to be of practical use. I was wrong.

It is pretty easy to cook for the wife and I as well as up to 3 grand kids on the mini. This type of cook is burgers, dogs, brats etc.

When making your decision I wouldn't use price as a deciding factor.

GG
  • HamiltonHamilton Posts: 115
    The small is more practical, but the mini is more fun.
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 7,417
    I have both as well.
    If you are not going to travel around with your new egg I would go for the small knowing your next size egg is the large. Lots more cooking options and the grate to lump distace is more scaled to your large and easy to cook and add indirect cooking options.
    The mini is fun for some strange reason but if I had to give up either my small or my mini the mini would go.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Sooner EggSooner Egg Posts: 578
    I have a large and added a small, no regrets
  • NoVA BillNoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Yea, what Kent said. You'd be surprise how well the mini performs (so far for me).
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    Kent,

I just re-read your post and saw what you said. I would give up the small as well. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• emillucaemilluca Posts: 673
    MINI work for my wife and I just fine
  • I own a mini and not a small and I love it.
    If you want to be able to take it with you places, the mini is easier at 35lbs. If portability isn't a concern I'd probably go for the small for the reasons previously stated.

Cooking on a mini is similar to cooking on a Hibachi.
    When I was a kid we used a Hibachi all the time so the Mini wasn't hard for me to get used to.