Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cust with Egg issues.

milesofsmiles
milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did not want to post this, but the boss said " post for egghead feed back".
Cust. bought a med. Sept. 2008, about two wks. aft. I del. I made a return trip to teach her how to fill and fire it up. NO prob. came up to temp as it should. Her dad is also an egger.
She now has other issues.
1. mold in egg. uses it alot???
2. moisture in egg. uses it alot???
3. last night aft several hours max temp. 200-250??
4. Takes two hands to open the egg.
5. Gasket off.
I answered 1 thru 4. She's not sat. Wants new egg. I offered a new gasket and BGE says 1-4 not a warranty issue agree.
What sez the forum. Thanks for the feed back Smiles to y'all. If you want to take this off the forum my e-addy is ronnie@poolandspaconnection.com

Comments

• I think you got it. If they use it a lot what is a lot to them? I live in an area where we have very high humidity most of the summer. If I were to not use my Eggs for several weeks I would probably have the same issues with condensation and humidity. I am willing to bet that the lump was the lump left in the Egg for a period of time and is damp from the condensation. Mine don't usually stay cool long enough to have mold grow. A high temp burn would get rid of the mold and clean out the Egg and add some fresh lump would most likely fix the temp issues.

Is she using a cover? and is it a vented cover? My dealer has a standard cover and has the very same issues after about a week of not using the Egg. He will have to get rid of the old lump and load with fresh because it is damp from the condensation inside the Egg. I have a vented cover and have not had the same problem. The longest was almost 2 weeks where we had heavy rain every afternoon and my lump was still fine. A new Egg is not going to fix her problem. Sounds like she just needs to do more Egging.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

There may be some mold that had developed in the ceramics but I would think that would only happen if the egg was not originally fired to the proper temperature or if there was mold in the slip that was used. I am not sure if the mold in the ceramics could be seen with the smoke that is developed with the lump. It is obvious in other ceramics. The only solution in other ceramics or porcelain is to toss it and get rid of the slip that was used.

You will need to discuss that with John or Bruce.

Other than that the only suggestion about the mold from me is to do a hot burn then completly clean out the egg and toss remaining lump.

Reload with new fresh lump and do another high temp cook/burn.

Gasket, we all have been down that road. Sounds like it is time for a Nomex with proper installation.

I have had a huge problem with the medium and poor temperature performance. I am convinced my problem is due to the size of the fire ring (and possibly fire box). If I slide the fire ring to one side of the egg there is close to a 2" gap between the edge of the fire ring and the edge of the egg. From what I understand there is a new fire box and fire ring that is not being shipped with newer medium eggs.

The problem is the air going into the lower vent is going up outside of the fire box and fire ring. The air is not feeding the lump.

I have no idea if the new fire box and fire ring will resolve the problem with my medium and I haven't wanted to spend the money for the parts & freight to 'test' the parts out.

There are some ways around the problem without buying new parts but I am not happy with having to use them. If you want more information let me know.

GG
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    1 2 and 3 says they dont use it much. my maine egg and the weather conditions and only used on weekends gets mold every week. just light it and when it smells right i cook on it and i dont worry about the mold, once up to temps i dont see it and it doesnt bother me. a damp egg with damp lump can take a long time to heat up, all the moisture needs to be steamed out befo ;) re the temps move past about 250.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Only had mine since Fathers Day. LBGE. I have so far not had any issues to go back to the dealer. I have a felt gasket and alighed halves myself no problem. If I had the things your cust. has I would be thrilled to get a new gasket. As for the mold and moisture, lite a fire it will go away. Anew egg would have the same things without use. I think you have done above and beyond.
  • Only had mine since Fathers Day. LBGE. I have so far not had any issues to go back to the dealer. I have a felt gasket and alighed halves myself no problem. If I had the things your cust. has I would be thrilled to get a new gasket. As for the mold and moisture, lite a fire it will go away. Anew egg would have the same things without use. I think you have done above and beyond.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Tim make you post that? There is nothing to be gained by replacing the Egg that a new gasket wouldn't fix. I've never heard of a gasket frying at 250, is she sure the thermometer didn't go all the way around? -RP
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Randy, Her first issue last year was that she could not get the egg up to 700. She only loaded the lump up to the holes in the fire box. I showed her how to load and fire. No probs. Till now. Shes fried her gasket, I offered a new one. BGE said no to the rest of her issues & I agree. All her probs. are self induced.

She thinks she has a crack etc. etc. I say show me.
    Many thanks for all thr replys. Smiles to y'all
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    1 through three are consistent with an unused egg.

i have the small going RIGHT now burhning off mold and moisture. an unused wet egg will take forever to get to temp because all the water needs to be driven off.

if it is hard to open, it may be rusted too, but i can't see that happening.

gaskets are a sacrificial item.

i think it's enough to teach her how to use it, and offer the replacement gasket. they aren't using it regularly, though. certainly not "all the time"
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    also sounds like her thermometer may need to be recalibrated...
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Mold, moisture, and slo temp rises are just due to the Egg sitting out, unused for awhile, with no cover on. I went on a vacation, and found a wasp nest inside the daisy. I want a replacement!

I've had to mess a bit with my hinges on the mediums. One was not lining up right, so I had to loosen and tighten nuts several times to find the "sweet" spot. The other, the spring was working loose. So, a pain to mess with, but not a fatal flaw. She needs someone with a wrench, screwdriver, etc. to spend a few minutes checking the hinges.

Gasket, nah. I keep telling myself its time to strip off the old ones and put on the replacements I have on hand, but then have the temps stay completely stable (like right now) and decide to wait longer.
  • If your authorized dealership took the BGE back, would you be able to sell the used BGE with a full warranty???