Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

30 hour cook.... wow.

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted earlier about leaving the egg unattended during a lo-and-slo, and remrked that I was happily surprised to find the egg within 5 degrees or so of where I left it when I returned (after a day at 'work').[p]Well, I wanted to add that I am just completely amazed by this thing (the BGE). I have done a few overnight pork-shoulders, and have always had great luck with the egg and temps/time, but this time just blew my mind. This thing is amazing...[p]Because we planned to eat at 1pm on Saturday, I knew that I couldn't do a 9.5 pound shoulder if I started it the night before, at least not at 220-dome, and cooked to 200 internal. So i started it Friday morning, figuring I'd extend the cook by smoking it at 200 dome, and bumping it at the end if needed to hit 200 internal. I figured it would take (or, I'd allow for) a 30-hour cook. Yikes.[p]I built a pretty standard fire of lump, filled the egg up to within 2 inches of the top of the fire ring (below the grate). Lots of hickory, some maple. I used Fresh Royal Oak (new bag) and mixed in smaller tailings from the last bag, and the unused lump from a previous cook.[p]As I've said, the Egg held within 10 degrees of 200-dome all day while I was at work (the wife WAS home most of the day, egg only unatteneded for a few hours). When I woke the next morning, it was at 210, and I bumped it back to 200.[p]For the 'run-in', the last two hours, I bumped it to 250 for the last 15 degrees (from 185 until it hit 200 internal).[p]The fire never wavered, the smoke was near-continuous, and the pulled pork was the best I've ever done. Great crust, as moist as we have come to expect, and smoked beautifully. I don't think i'd willingly go 30 hours again (I get great results at 220 dome, and save 8 hours or so), but I just can't help relate to you all this story. The control that this thing provides is amazing. And the Royal Oak lump I am sure is a factor. It is the best I've used by far.[p]The egg performed unbelievably. Better than ever.
Man do I love this thing....[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante