Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Toppings

Options
Lill Prophet's Mom
Lill Prophet's Mom Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This may seem like a really dumb question but when fixing a pizza on the BGE do you cook the toppings first? We like ground beef and onion pizzas, and I didn't know if I should brown the ground beef before putting it on the pizza.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I put it on raw, it cooks with the pie. -RP
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I do cook my beef first. I have used chix tenders before raw but have had better luck with cooked meats. going with a thin crust and a high fast cook they just don't have enough time to cook through. left overs are perfect :)
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    OOPS. Posted in the wrong place.
    I used to pre-roast onions and mushrooms to cut down on the water they gave up, but then decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Shrimp can be raw, they will cook perfectly.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    beef doesnt bother me either way unless its in a deep dish. sausage gets cooked first, did scollops once, they really need to be semi cooked to remove some liquid.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DavidInDurham
    Options
    It kinda depends on the kind of pizza you make.

If you (like me) prefer a thin-crust pizza cooked at 500-550F for only a short period of time, I would par-cook the beef, not so much to make sure it's done as to get rid of some of the fat and water.

On the other hand, if you prefer a thicker crust or deep-pan pizza, add the beef uncooked.

Honestly, I have been all over Italy and southern France, and some of the pizzas I pull off my egg are the best I've ever tasted. The egg is the perfect pizza oven.

Buon appetito!
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    no dumb questions...I par-cook most of my stuff. I use red onions alot, which I think are just better when carmelized. Meat I par-cook/cook and vegies, especially ones that put out liquid, I like to pre-cook to get some of the moisture out, as well as speeding up the cooking process.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I pre-cook. BTW...fave toppings are sausage, peppers, & onions.

:)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I like your choice of pizzas:

quickieza2.jpg
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Need to cook bacon first ?

Gary
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I pre-cook bacon and par-cook sausage. Everything else goes on raw.