Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheese

Options
Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm trying my first smoked cheese later tonight. I'm going with the soldering iron and bean can trick in the very bottom with an ice tray under the cheese. I bought about 10 blocks of sharp cheddar cheese today and I have hickory and apple chips for my choice. I have pecan to but its in hockey puck sized chunks. I was figuring hour to hour and half on smoke time. Anyone have any last minute advice? Thanks.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Carwash Mike gave me great advise. 90 minutes and 90 degrees.
    I am thinking that hickory would be to strong. Just my 2 tokens. It's a fun cook. Have plenty of ice on hand.
    Please post pics and keep us informed.
    Thanks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    It's a hard thing to judge. I like a lot of smoke but don't want to over power it ya know. I'm tempted to use the apple. Maybe some more will chime in with their thoughts. Thanks for the two tokens Molly ;) And I will have pics.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I used apple and a little cherry. Smoked for almost three hours. It took four days to mellow. I did cheddarx3, white chedderx2 and pepperjackex2

spachcockedpics553.jpg

spachcockedpics557.jpg
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    Can I foodsaver it as soon as it chills back down in fridge or should I let it set loosely wrapped in fridge for a day first?
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Heath, give me a call. It's been crazy and I've lost your number. Maybe next week, lunch will work out.
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    No prob Gene. Kinda crazy here as well. I will call u in the next couple days. I'm off till Fri night. I'll save you a block of cheese if it turns out.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

While you are doing some cheese, try doing some other types of cheese also. You will find some cheese takes on the smoke flavor much better than others. Pepper Jack is very good.

GG
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    I can't imagine 90 minutes as strong as mine turn out in 40 to 50 minutes...but maybe the amount of wood and smoke have alot to do with that. The real trick is to keep the dome cool. Last time out..I used three briquets and the apple cherry wood and it didn't melt any. The first time out was this last winter and it was -15 and the cheese melted some.

Rick in Mt.