Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Rib membrane removal pictorial

AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
edited 11:53PM in EggHead Forum
Its been a while since I have posted this technique for membrane removal on BBRs. Since there are a lot of new people here, I thought I would re post it. Start by working your thumb and forefinger under the membrane at the middle of the rib.

IMG_0729Small.jpg

Then slip your other thumb and forefinger and pull outward equally with both hands.

IMG_0731Small.jpg

Continue out to the ends and you will find there will be no tearing and all the membrane will be removed. -RP

IMG_0732Small.jpg
·

Comments

• otisdogotisdog Posts: 187
    Thanks, that looks easier than what I have done
    ·
  • GeoduckGeoduck Posts: 76
    And it looks a lot easier than other methods I've seen. Thanks for thinking of us newbies! :kiss:
    ·
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    And you can do that with every slab? LOL Looks a little hot in AZ.

Mike
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Yeah, works with spares too but not quite as well. -RP
    ·
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    The baby backs I get from Sams, most of them have some sort of a cut in the membrane.

Mike
    ·
    Wont matter as long as you get your fingers under it in the middle, it cant tear or separate. -RP
    ·
    And why am I selling you? You are the rib genius. :P -RP
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Thanks for posting again.

GG
    ·
  • Same here Mike, some of those can be a pain. Thats when I go for the cat fish skinners. :laugh: The spares are no problem. :)
    ·
  • DrZaiusDrZaius Posts: 1,481
    I like this technique. Thanks for posting!
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
    ·
  • lowercasebilllowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    what do you use to make the first 'holes' so you can begin to get your fingers in ??
    i have been experimenting and found that metal chop sticks with a rounded tip opens it up with out tearing .. had been using wooden ones but the metal works better for me
    thanks for posting that it works great and is so much easier than taking it off in pieces
    bill
    ·
  • smoky bsmoky b Posts: 648
    Great method. I am definitely trying that next time. I usually make a mess starting from one end. And I blow through half a roll of paper towels! :blush:
    ·
  • NoVA BillNoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Nice pics and method for a KC cut of spare ribs. Thanks for posting.

I generally ccok my spares with the skirt and strip intact - any advise on membrane removal for the St Louis cut of ribs beyond what thirdeye has posted on his site? I'm having more and more success with thirdeye's method but could always learn more and better ways.

Thanks,
    ·
  • Ex-GasmanEx-Gasman Posts: 287
    Thanks, I will try that next time.
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    I think Mike really needed your pictorial. He was having such a tough time with membranes that he switched to cooking seafood. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    ·
  • WoogerooWoogeroo Posts: 43
    AZRP

Thank you so much for posting this!

It has been awhile since I have tried ribs and this was the main reason, one time I'd get the membrane off just fine and others it would be a mess.

Hmnn... exciting stuff.

-W
    ·
  • This looks so easy, but the hardest part is step 1. How do you get your fingers in there? I can never get in under the membrane to begin with!
    ·